Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

While I've heard the sport bands are decent, I've read plenty of hand on of the leather bands that were not impressed. Some going so far as to say the leather bands felt thin and cheap. Ill check them out at some point but I don't have the highest of hopes. I'd like to be proven wrong.

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm not a big watch guy. I have a Seiko Blue Spark with a genuine alligator leather strap that I paid $125 for and a deployant clasp. It's great.

I didn't handle any of the leather bands, so I can't compare, but I absolutely loved the Milanese loop. I thought the link bracelet felt pretty hefty and good. It was solid and seemed to be high quality, but definitely not something I'd pay $450 for. That's the Apple tax, I suppose.

Either way, can't wait to get my watch!! 9 moar days :D

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Fuck this is frustrating. I reset the settings on my phone and iPad which succeeded in getting them to stop trying to sync with my iMac. But now I can't get them to enable wifi syncing when I connect them to the MacBook with a cable.

I thought the great thing about Apple was that this shit "just works." It's pretty, polished stuff, but this is fucking ridiculous. Not happy on day 1.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Apple has been a buggy mess for a while. I want nothing more for them to pull a "Snow Lepord" on ios9 and focus on improving the core. Make it stable, faster and bullet proof again. Don't worry about a check list of new features. Just get it working right.

5. javyn

javyn Senior member

My wife's iPhone 5S started injecting streaming ads into her iTunes playlist. Anyone else experience this wonderful feature? It's really awesome to hear about Home Depot after every 3rd mp3 in your playlist haha

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

@hopkins_student Do you have the base 1.1 ghz model? I'm finding that the computer lags a little bit from time to time on Safari and I get the beach ball bullshit. It's not so bad / often that it's egregious, but the fact that it even happens at all is slightly disappointing.

Also, is the backlighting for all your keys even? I'm seeing that the "e" on the esc key is more dimly lit. Same goes for the 'enter' text on the return button.

Finding it slightly harder to hit the right shift key too, for some reason. And the space button makes a pretty loud noise when pressed -- sorta like a 'thunk' sound. But overall, I'm enjoying this keyboard.

8. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Everyone said it was underpowered. I hope you're not surprised that that's the case.

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

It's underpowered for CPU-intensive tasks, like photo / video editing. But for my purposes, it should be more than fine. All the reviews I've seen for the base model say that it's speedy for basic browsing. So, the fact that it stutters with web browsing is unacceptable and not expected at all.

10. otc

otc Senior member

I don't think you fully understand how CPU intensive browsing has gotten recently.

A lot of the futuristic web 2.0 stuff that websites are doing these days involve abusing the shit out of technologies that were never intended for this kind of use. The reason you can force javascript and CSS to interact in these crazy ways is because you now have a ton of excess CPU power on every modern computer...so your scripting language is being used to do all sorts of stuff it is not optimized for.

They'd use something else if they could, but javascript and flash are basically the only things you can expect to work everywhere. Nobody wants activex controls and java applets are almost as bad.

So you can get google docs to feel a lot like excel...interacting with it doesn't really feel much different from interacting with a native, compiled version of excel. But excel 97 from 15+ years ago also felt like using excel...Google docs would feel like a dog on a computer that shipped with excel 2007 because of how resource intensive that AJAX stuff is.

Even loading this page on SF involves thousands of lines of code. It references a TON of .js files, all of which do something while the page is rendering or while you interact with it. And ever 5 seconds it polls server to see if the thread has updated so it can send you that "1 new post" notification...if you have a bunch of SF tabs open, those .js files all load from the same cached copy, but each one keeps ticking away every 5 seconds. A lot of advertising scripts also track your mouseovers which leads to constant execution and back and forth...

11. otc

otc Senior member

My old netbook can decode HD video without issue. I wouldn't want to do video editing on it, but basic photo edits (assuming non-giant files) were no problem.

I had to stop using it though. I basically used it as a breakfast computer...but it couldn't fucking load SF and gmail without being annoyingly slow to render. God forbid you click a link to a website that is loaded with shitty facebook/twitter/etc share buttons, and those clickbait advertising photo links...some of those websites are so poorly designed that they lag up on my recent i5 with 16gb RAM.

Even with aggressive adblock/noscript/flashblock it sucked because it still has to build all of the components.

Check out this cool trick: http://yourwebdev.ninja/generate.html
    Shows how the front page of reddit builds itself.

edit: and I'm not saying this is all bad...abusing the shit out of javascript has let us build a ton of cool stuff that could never have happened with server side scripting and html4. It just means everybody has to keep updating their gear since devs are always going to develop for the average user who keeps getting faster.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

SF is pretty fucking laggy on this macbook. Site is bloated as hell. Shit sucks.

13. gort

gort Senior member

Install ublock for chrome.

14. hopkins_student

I've spent so much time trying to get iTunes set up correctly that I haven't done much else. I got the pinwheel loading indicator every time I opened Word or PowerPoint. It wasn't for very long but it was noticeable.

I was prepared for it to be underpowered. I'm not going to do anything but web browsing, word processing, and managing my iTunes media with it. But I'll probably replace it in 18 months.

15. hopkins_student

No, I got the 1.2 GHz model. The keyboard is not perfectly uniformly lit. I do however like the keyboard. All buttons depress the same way.