The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

My MacBook shipped! Getting delivered on the 16th, which means I'll be WFH that day :devil:

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I love the new Photos but they need to fix this shit:

[​IMG]

Edit: for some reason I had photostream and icloud storage checked. Maybe that fixed it as energy impact is now 0.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I've got no desire to buy the watch right now. Notifications on my wrist mean little to me. Having Apple Pay that much easier to use is nice, but not worth the cost at the moment. Until these wearables become a functional part of a working home and work place automation system, I fail to see how they can really catch on to the masses.

Regarding the new MacBook, give it a generation or two. Just like the Air, it didn't hit the the ground running.

4. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

The MacBook is on the truck for delivery this morning. Excite.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

WTF mine doesn't cum until tomorrow!

6. capnMURPHY2021

capnMURPHY2021 Senior member

played with the watch a bit at the store over the weekend. The one UI design I really disliked was the Photos app, it's so awkward

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    The whole UI looks convoluted to me and reviews seem to back up my suspicion that it will have a big learning curve. Very un-Apple like.

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Space gray aluminum + black sports band. The wait begins.

9. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

I get the impression that Apple is very much catering towards the mainland Chinese market with it's blingy gold phones, watches and MacBooks.

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

There are a lot of demographics who like the gold.

11. hopkins_student

It's here.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Had my Apple watch appointment just now. Initial thoughts:

(1) The 42mm wears a lot smaller than I expected. Will probably end up going with that size
    (2) The bands are universally mediocre to terrible

Steel band- lightweight, felt flimsy, clicked and made lots of noise. The most disappointing of all of them, a Seiko band is probably ten times better
    Milanese - reasonably clever, but needs a little bit more machining on the inside to be less rough. Never liked the look though.
    Leather - same mechanism as the milanese, but not as well executed. Leather or crappy plastic - I couldn't tell. The ridged shape is fairly annoying and not that good looking.
    Rubber - the slot to tuck in the end is a bit annoying to use, the push through clasp works so-so.

I'll probably just get a 42mm Alu and get an aftermarket band adapter or wait for someone to come out with a decent aftermarket metal band.

13. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the bands, as were some of the reviewers. Gruber's take:

Quote: See also Om Malik:

Quote:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015

14. hopkins_student

Alright, need your help on something. Thanks in advance.

When I set up my new MacBook I copied the iTunes folder from my iMac and used it to replace the iTunes folder on the MacBook. I have synced my phone with the MacBook and backed up the phone to it, but still when I try to sync via wifi my phone still only wants to sync with my iMac. I assume this is because iTunes thinks that my MacBook is the same as my iMac because it's using the same library. Does that sound right? And if so, how do I fix it? I want the MacBook to be the primary computer to which I sync my mobile devices.

15. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I could care less what those guys think about the straps, they are hardly watch guys. - The strap slides into a pocket, sure, but then it doesn't slide easily since it is against your skin and it gets a little bit annoying. - Metal band quality is abysmal. Sure I took off a Rolex to try it on, but honestly the thing felt so damn flimsy. And it was noisy with metal on metal noise. - And the bubbly leather feels like it has lots of plastic impregnated into it. The hand compared to a nice veg tanned piece of leather has no comparison. - They should have just not been cheap and put butterfly clasps on all of the bands, not just the steel. This review sums up my feelings on the bands, even though the guy is admitted a large, Panerai wearer, which should automatically disqualify him from anything watch related. I am going to buy the adapter for regular watch straps and change it out.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015