The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

You're not going to sell it, are you?

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Absolutely not. Just won't be wearing it all that often anymoar.

Stainless steel + Milanese loop, here I cum!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I just can't bring myself to buy anything but a base model Apple Watch. It will absolutely be obsolete within 2 years, probably within 1 year. The functionality doesn't change by model.

I could almost see a reason to buy an Edition - bragging rights (conspicuous luxury), collectibility, etc.

But everything in the middle? Just doesn't seem worth it. I figure an Alu one with what will be an inevitable aftermarket metal band will be just fine.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I just don't understand why anyone would want one of these besides because it exists and Apple makes it. I don't think it's another I didn't know I needed it until I got it situation like the iPad either...

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Who cares about what other people do or want. Just do you, brahs.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Definitely seems like something you want to wait until at least generation 2 to buy. Can't believe they still haven't provided a pathway to upgrade the internals for future versions on at least the editions but my guess is that they'll roll out trade in program for editions.

Unless my circumstances change drastically, this doesn't seem like it would ever be a product for me. I generally have most notifications turned off on my phone. I don't feel the need to see texts and emails immediately (drives my wife nuts that I don't get text notifications, but oh well) and that seems to be the only think this watch is really good for. Can't believe that there is a lag in even being able to read the time - so it's even worse as a watch than any normal watch.

At least it will be fun to see how this fares in the marketplace. Living in the bay area and in the circles I travel in, I'm certainly interested to see what the adoption rate is locally.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  7. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Is it just me or is Safari a little bit snappier after the update?

8. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I'm planning to see more reviews from people other than tech bloggers, once it's out for a while (the Watch).

I wear one every day, but don't get a lot of notifications (texts etc.). I am interested in the health monitoring, though.

And, I'm sure there will be apps that we don't even realize we need in short order.

Hopefully we'll be getting Apple Pay in Canada soon - that's one thing I could see the Watch being handy for - and if it could unlock my car and house with a fingerprint scan, that would also save carrying keys around.

I suspect those that buy the first generation will likely get a fair resale on them when the next gen comes out, like other Apple products.

9. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Gonna go to the apple store tomorrow and play around with the Macbook. Hopefully it won't be too crowded.

10. ipractice

ipractice Senior member

I was ready to convert from a 2014 15" MBP to the 2015 12", but after seeing the disappointing reviews, I think I'll have to hold off for the refresh... stock core is too slow, bumping it up too expensive. Thing runs hot when under a decent amount of stress (skype calls, video streaming), battery life is only 7 hours.

I don't think it'll be practical for my needs which is disappointing, because design wise its everything I want in a laptop. Single port is really not an issue for me, but performance took too much of a hit for it's asking price.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm still running on a late-2010 MBA that's been slow as molasses ever since I upgraded to Yosemite. Huge mistake. The computer has a 3 hour battery life and stutters with web browsing. Fan is almost always on.

Gonna get the new macbook. I never use any of the ports so the usb-c is a non-issue for me. Cannot wait!

Also gonna pre-order a SS Apple watch with the Milanese loop + a spare black sport band for exercising. Apple's gonna get a lot of my monies tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

The biggest concern I have is cpu throttling when it gets too hot due to the fanless design, especially when used on a lap or soft surface that doesn't help with heat dissipation.

13. catchh

catchh Senior member

Just ordered the new Macbook in space grey. Very disappointed I have to wait 3-4 weeks for delivery in Canada. I had assumed i'd be able to buy it at the stores today. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Preordered my watch and MacBook at 3 am :slayer:

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

Agree with all of this. More money, less battery life, and lower performance in exchange for making something that was already really small a little bit smaller? No thanks. I had high hopes for this one due to retina display, but I think the macbook pro would suit me better.