The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I'm hesitant to use a third party keyboard that syncs my keystrokes over the cloud to a third party server. Unfortunately that's the only way to allow Swiftkey to learn and adapt to your typing.

I had it installed for a while then decided I was uncomfortable with the process.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Swype was clutch. I only had an iphone for a week and it was 100% worth the dollar.

Now I want one again so I can spend a dollar on this app: https://www.propellerheads.se/figure
    Bought it on my GF's phone and I wish I could have it on my own...could spend hours screwing with it, would be a great alternative to shitty games for the train home.

3. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Eh it doesn't bother me. Now my learning Arabic keyboard I am a bit skeptical of :|

4. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

Anyone having second thoughts about the new Macbook? Decided to go 1.2GHz in space grey.

5. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

I'm not pre-ordering, will decide in a month or so when more people have played around with it. The benchmarks put its performance on par with the 2011 MBA, which is not bad since I'd mostly be using it for web browsing. But I remember the 2011 MBAs would lag when playing 720p/1080p MKV files, which is probably 30% of what I'd be using it for.

6. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

It shouldn't do, what player were you using? I play downloaded 720/1080p MKVs on a 2008 white plastic Macbook with 10.6.8 "Snow Leopard" no problems, using VLC, VideoLan Client. I've even played them no problem on a cheap Lenovo Atom powered netbook, and again they haven't lagged or skipped, and they play on my phone as well. I know Quicktime can be crap, never use that.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Gonna drop by the Apple store on Friday and pick up the entry level gold macbook. I wonder if the bump to 1.3 ghz would be noticeable.

8. hopkins_student

I have a hard time imagining there will be a real difference in the user experience, even if the benchmarks are different.

9. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Don't remember, it didnt happen to me. I gave my friend a movie, ~12GB and he told me it lagged and audio/video went out of sync.

10. catchh

catchh Senior member

I can play 720p files fine on my 2008mbp. It could be the actual video files you're downloading. Try and get scene releases, they stick to a standard quality. Also Movist ( https://code.google.com/p/movist/downloads/list ) is a very good free lightweight player. I actually prefer it over VLC.

I'm excited for Friday, going to be picking up the space grey macbook to replace my lagging out 2008mbp.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  11. hopkins_student

Just saw the pricing for the 1.3 GHz processor. A $250 upgrade from the 1.1 or $150 from the 1.2. I'll go with the 1.2.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Apple watch reviews are up. The consensus is that it's the best smart watch out there, battery life is better than expected, notifications are tedious, and it's an entirely unnecessary device.

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Money better spent on any number of regular watches!

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Bye bye my dear Blue Spark. You've served me well :(

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The most damning thing I've read about it is that it is difficult to figure out and get used to, which is coming from a professional tech reviewer. Not very Apple.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015