1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

Am visiting the US soon and thinking of picking up a cheap unlocked iphone 4s at a retailer such as Best Buy for $100 or so.

I read a post in Macw***d forum that advised that doing the same for an iphone 6 might present problems in terms of US-Europe frequencies.

As I'm looking at this older phone can anyone confirm whether or not there would be any problems using it specifically in Italy, or UK/Europe in general?

2. otc

otc Senior member

Wait...this Mailbox thing loses the filtering into Primary/Social/Updates/etc that gmail does automatically?

eff that.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Yup. Still no perfect email app on iOS. I currently have three installed that I rotate between based on need.

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Outlook is the best. The only problem is it doesn't search as well as the Gmail app.

5. otc

otc Senior member

I've never been much of an "Inbox Zero" person. Between search and filtering (and being able to tell what an email is from the subject/preview), it just seems like a waste of time to me.

That being said, the way Google splits up Primary/Social/Promotions/Updates, I could see myself emptying my "Primary" inbox in the Mailbox style. Archive being a dump of everything I have read and don't need to respond to, tasks and bouncing it back to my inbox at a later date for emails that require action.

But I am not willing to do that for the non-Primary emails. Many of those, I don't need to open, and it is a waste of my time to even swipe my finger across them when I have the wonders of search. Some are junk that could be unsubscribed from or spam filtered...but many are useful emails that I just don't need to read. That order confirmation doesn't matter unless my item never shows up...That STP coupon email isn't helpful unless I am shopping at STP (in which case I will search my mailbox for a coupon code).

It is a pretty slick app...but I am not sure I even see how you could rotate to it...whenever I open it, it is just cluttered with a bunch of unread emails from non-Primary categories that I don't want to see.

6. Jr Mouse

No 3rd party app does. That's why I keep the Gmail app installed. Search.

7. aglose

aglose Senior member

Has anyone's MacBook Pro been acting up? Twice mine has frozen up on me, then goes to black screen after a few minutes. I have to then power it up and it acts like it was turned off unexpectedly. If no one else is having this problem, then I'll go make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

8. Jr Mouse

These bugs existed before the latest patch. So it didn't cause them and obviously didn't fix them.

I hope the rumors are true that ios9 will be heavily focused on making the OS faster and more stable instead of bloating it up with a bunch of new features.

9. otc

otc Senior member

Paid a buck to have Swype on this phone I am borrowing. Kind of silly since my replacement Android phone is here... But I wanted to try it during my iOS trial.

So glad it is here on iOS now. I have been hating one handed text entry for the past couple days and this has magically fixed my woes. It isn't perfect, but finally allowing third party keyboards was the right choice.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Here is a complaint about Outlook: the notification doesn't disappear when I open the email on my computer. With Mail and Gmail they disappeared instantly. It really bothers me to click my phone and see notifications for emails I read on hour ago on the computer.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  11. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

That would bug me too.

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I just took a nap and had a dream that I received my Apple Watch.

It was amazing (both the watch and dream itself).

:embar:

13. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Would you say it was a dream of the wet variety?

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm enjoying my Fitbit Surge so much that I may not get the Apple Watch when it becomes available, at least not right away.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You better buy the Apple Watch Edition when it comes out. Or else...