1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. scamster

scamster Senior Member

if the rumours are anything to go by you apparently charge each night which on the one hand is a bummer but something that'll you could quite easily get used to, just charge it along with your iphone.

can also imagine if you're travelling a long distance abroad for example and depending on use could easily see the apple watch running out of juice before you reach your destination.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I don't see nightly charging as that big of a deal. How many people sleep with a watch on? If you are taking it off anyways, how is it that much more of a hassle to connect it to the charger?

The main downside there is the device won't be able to be used to monitor sleep patterns like some fitness tracking devices do.

As long as the watch can make a full day on a single charge, it should be enough.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

3. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

I think the fact that it's vulgar looking is more of a drawback than the charging.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

A friend has a smart watch. Once, I was at a bar with him. He received a text notification via his watch. He then pulled out his phone to reply. Did this over and over. Looked ridiculous.

5. Jr Mouse

One could argue that the watch served its purpose letting him know about the text and who it was from. There is some value to being able to know this at a glance without pulling a phone out of a pocket.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

Honestly, what value(and leave the example that you are sitting in a meeting and don't want to interrupt)?
    Many of the people who will buy the watch and fan-boys/techies/etc. How many of those people actually receive a text and don't respond right away? Not many. So just pulling out your phone serves the same purpose IMO.

But one of Apple's mantras has always been..."don't ask the customer what they want.....tell/show them what they need."
    (I am paraphrasing.)

7. Jr Mouse

You don't think there is value to be able to take a quick glance at your watch to see a text without having to pull a phone out of your pocket? I've said before I'm not sold on the Apple Watch being a huge success, but there is certainly value in this. One requires a fast glance at you watch which is fairly natural and non interruptive, the other requires you to reach into your pocket, pull a device out of it and look at it.

The point is the watch lets you make a quick determination if you need to reply to the text in this meeting or not.

8. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Any tiny amount of value in that is instantly dashed by looking like a jackass who doesn't own a real watch. Real talk.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Distinguished Member

I think I'll wait til I upgrade my phone - figuring by September when the 6s or whatever comes out, the Watch will either be proven useful or not.

I think the idea of a smart band is probably a reasonable move for haute horologie, but they will have to be Android.

10. Tried and True

Tried and True Distinguished Member

I can think of several activities which I engage in where the watch would prove handy.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

I said take the example of sitting in a meeting out of the equation.

I am talking for regular everyday use.

To add......how many regular everyday text's do you get and don't respond to right way? I would say for the vast majority of people, it would be less than 10%. That number goes down when you are sleeping/driving IMO.

So the vast majority of people will receive a text...glance at it on their wrist and take out their phone to respond. If they repeat this process multiple times, they start to look like a jackass.

12. Tried and True

I finally installed the latest operating system and am now seeing a lot of this: 'A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded'

Also selecting text to cut/copy/paste can sometimes be an ordeal.

13. JayJay

JayJay Stylish Dinosaur

This is a huge advantage for me. At work I keep my phone on silent and often stored in my suit coat breast pocket. I used to miss calls and texts because I didn't always notice the vibration. I don't miss them now that my smart watch alerts me.

I really love my Fitbit watch, much more so than I thought I would. I track all my activities and sleep patterns. Because I use it to track multiple activities in a day, I have to recharge mine about every two days, a charge typically lasts 5 days according to Fitbit. Recharging to a full charge usually takes less than an hour. I let it recharge while I shower and dress for work. If I fall out of love with mine, I can return to wearing my traditional watches; if I continue to love my smart watch for another month or so, then I'll be first in line for the Apple watch. :nodding:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

14. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

15. Tried and True