1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. humza

humza Senior Member

Do you guys have any suggestions for a good case for iPad air 2?

2. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Every time I take my phone out of its case I'm amazed by how ugly space grey is.

Just ordered an NGP because I find the Dual Pro to be too bulky and the rubberized part is peeling in the corners and exposing the glossy plastic that it's adhered to.

3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Distinguished Member

you're in a bathroom, aren't you?

4. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Ha no just a restaurant that mysteriously gets really poor reception. I have a theory that they are plutonium smugglers and have lined their roof with lead.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

6. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Distinguished Member

it's bent!

7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Stylish Dinosaur

Does anyone understand how the Apple Messages app on Mac laptops sends regular text messages? I understand how it could send iMessages through the internet.. but how does it send regular text messages to non-iPhone people without a cellular connection?

It's not through my phone because I turned off Continuity..

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

8. zippyh

zippyh Distinguished Member

Look up "SMS gateway".

9. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I've used a service called twilio to do some stuff at work. Basically gave me an api to their system so I could add SMS alerts to my programs.

Believe it could do more than just send and receive texts (could also support calls and voice mails) and it was dirt cheap.

Google voice has been able to do it for 4-5 years for free.

10. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Does anybody know if in a group text it sends iMessages to iPhones in the group and SMS to the rest?

11. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Sends MMS to the rest (which is notably different from an SMS)

12. ethanm

ethanm Stylish Dinosaur

Well what I really want to know is in a group text with 5 iPhones and 2 non iPhones, am I sending out 7 texts a pop?

13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Well anything sent to an iOS user is free. Not that it really matters much anymore since all the carriers are pushing all in plans these days with unlimited texting, but tiered data.

14. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

May vary by provider, but I *think* you are sending 1 text.

the 5 iphones go out as iMessages, and the 2 non-iphones go out as an MMS with all 7 people's numbers attached (unlike SMS, MMS can have multiple recipients). Pretty sure most carriers gave up on charging differently for MMS and SMS messages a long time ago.

15. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

And yeah, like Mouse said...it is pretty much unlimited texting everywhere. I was on an old 200 text plan but was basically blowing through it every month (didn't care much as my employer covers it).

That used to be more than enough since I mostly used my Google Voice number...but ever since iPhones led the charge in sending MMS instead of SMS, I had to switch to using my normal carrier (GV has issues with MMS).

Tried to switch up my line to unlimited texting, and we ended up changing the whole family plan. Instead of shared rollover minutes and per-line data/texting, we now just have unlimited voice/texting and 3gb of shared data for a good chunk less than we were paying on the old system. My dad lost his grandfathered unlimited data...but our total usage is nowhere near it being worthwhile.