The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I can't.

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Seems okay so far. Not sure it's worth switching from plain old mail though. I have a few different gmail accounts and the one I really use isn't available for inbox yet for whatever reason, so I'll have a better sense when I can use that one. I never really got into mailbox and this just seems like mailbox+. To be honest, most of my personal email just doesn't matter and my corporate email isn't through gmail so I'm probably not the right target for this.

3. Jr Mouse

I love Mailbox, but still hate the fact you can't insert attatchments from Dropbox with it. Only links. That's why I also keep Boxer installed as it works the way I need it too.

Inbox seems OK in my limited use. I find the UI a little confusing and I'm not sure I see much benefit in how it groups mail. Lacking a lot of features too. Doesn't even hook into Google Drive yet, which is odd.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I almost never send attachments in personal email but I take your point. The other reason these apps don't help me much is because I run all my online orders, etc through an ages old yahoo account and have a different system for that.

I want to like inbox and mailbox but reality is I don't need much and don't manage my life or work through personal email so there isn't much optimizing to do. I don't even bother foldering or labeling personal email since I have no need to go back to it in the future and if I did search works just fine.

5. Jr Mouse

On another note, I find it bizarre that Apple Mail can't directly hook into iCloud Drive either. You can still only attach photos and videos. What's the point of building in a cloud file system if one of your main apps that could benefit from it doesn't?

I guess I'm still on my quest to find the perfect iOS email app. So many seem to get close, but never get everything right.

6. otc

otc Senior member

If it makes you feel any better...android has similar funky things with file selection.

I guess I can still get to everything (including dropbox) if I go through the right menus, but uploading a pic to SF sends me to a completely different place than say, attaching a picture to a text/gmail. Sometimes it wants me to essentially "choose an app" to attach from (so I would select the gallery, or dropbox, or a file manager), while other times it wants me to select a document and does things like list "Pictures", "Recent", Etc.

7. Jr Mouse

As far as I can tell, Safari still can't hook into anything other then the stock photo app for uploading to the browser. So you can't access Dropbox or iCloud Drive. I had hope that this would change as it would make things like applying for jobs (resume upload) on your iPhone/iPad a lot more feasible.

edit: Apple has been telling us for years that an iPad can be used as a PC replacement if one wants, but until we get true file management for simple tasks such as these it won't happen

8. aglose

aglose Senior member

Hey guys, when I delete emails on my iPhone I end up having to do the exact same thing on my MacBook. Is there some way I can get the two to stop making me delete emails on both?

9. otc

otc Senior member

What kind of email? Are you using POP3 on either the phone or the macbook?

10. aglose

aglose Senior member

I think they are IMAP. It's only my outlook email as well my gmail doesn't have the same problem. Let me check my MacBook but I'm using the IMAP on my iPhone.

Edit: I am using POP3 on my MacBook.

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Nah, they didn't screw up they do 2 runs through my hood. It was delivered at 4:28 so I'll get it this weekend.

12. gort

gort Senior member

Used Apple Pay at Harris Teeter yesterday. Was pretty neat.

FWIW, you can use it anywhere there is an NFC reader, it doesn't have to be a retailer that officially supports Apple Pay.

13. Jr Mouse

If you want a laugh, check out the reviews for CurrentC in the App Store.

CurrentC by Merchant Customer Exchange, LLC
    https://appsto.re/us/0wHA2.i

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

RIP one handed use. Love the screen and touch id though.

15. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Saw the 5K imac in the shop, pretty nice.