1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

For some reason swipe to close doesn't work for me, in either direction. I just use the x thing.

Has anyone tried Coast yet? I can't make heads or tails of it.

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

That's strange.

What's coast?

3. epb

epb Senior member

So there's already been an update? I never upgraded by iPad, but got a notice that iOS 7.0.2 is out now.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

yup - there was a bug involving the passcode

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

You believe there were strong rumors that MS was going to acquire Nokia over seven years ago? Before the iPhone was announced and Nokia was one of the most powerful/largest phone manufacturers in the world?

Sorry, this is simply not true.

It's all related to the same industry changing forces.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I found a small bug that I don't remember occurring on iOS 6 but if you have an email thread open when you minimize the app you won't get notifications for emails in that thread.

7. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

What they need to fix is the various apps that don't work in all screen orientations, most notably Remote.

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm seeing a lot of aggressive marketing for the iPhone 5C. The carrier stores are pushing them aggressively, too, which should bode well for sales. Before the new iPhones came out, all the carriers were pushing android phones, hard, which effectively drove the majority of sales for lower-end consumers looking for free / $99 smartphones.

I hope the 5c does well with teens and younger adults this holiday season.

Note: I am long AAPL.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Is that because they're trying to sell their unsold stock of 5Cs? - fire sale pricing?
    http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/is-there-actually-a-surplus-of-apples-iphone-5c.html/?a=viewall
    In other words, Apple may have sold 9 million iPhones to its retail partners, but only 5.5 million of those iPhones have actually been sold to customers. Since Apple has already confirmed that, “demand for iPhone 5S has exceeded the initial supply,” Munster is suggesting that Apple’s retail partners have an unsold surplus of iPhone 5C models.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  10. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Pretty sure Apple reports actual sales, not just units shipped to retailers—a move some companies have been known to resort to.

It sounds like the 5Cs may have been more plentiful at launch because they share a lot of components with the 5 and so could be manufactured more quickly.

I don't give much weight to Wall Street analysts when it comes to Apple. In general their track records aren't great.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Only Johnny Ive could make a Leica look like a Minox.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I hope they finally release a MBA w/ retina display come Oct. 22.

My late-2010 MBA is getting pretty damn slow (takes a solid 3 seconds to exit Safari, ermegherd!)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^ Haven't heard anything about a Macbook Air with a retina display. My guess is that it will remain a Macbook Pro feature for now, but who knows.

Looks like the next event is October 22nd. This list of predictions that sounds pretty reasonable:

Spitballing Apple's October Event

1 person likes this.
  15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Agh. Bummer.

I used someone's 15" MBP w/ retina the other day and it was fantastic. I've tinkered around with one in the Apple store in the past before, but using it up close in the space of a home somehow was a very different experience.

The increased screen real estate was also a very welcome change. Not to mention, the speakers were great as well. Really made me realize how shitty my MBA's speakers are.

Perhaps I will get one of those instead.

Anyone able to hook me up with employee pricing? :devil:

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

as the owner of a 15" MBP with retina display, I'd take it over a non-retina MB-A any day. It's awesome, and the weight savings for the Air is not that significant.

17. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I had a 15" MBP. I switched to a 13" retina a few months ago and like it a lot more. Since I carry my laptop everyday, the extra portability was worth more than the screen real estate. I use most apps in full screen mode anyway, so I'm not hurting for pixels.

I briefly considered a 13" Air, but with the MBP specs and the minor weight difference between the two, it wasn't much of a contest.

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I recall you purchased yours late last year. Have you been updating to the latest OS and whatnot? I've noticed a dramatic decrease in my MBA's performance since keeping up with the OS changes / updates, especially with Safari, and am wondering whether your MBP experienced the same as well.

Also, weird question: do you use your laptop in bed, or are you more of a set it on a table while sitting on a chair type of guy?

I would highly consider the 13 MBP Retina, too, but the lack of a dedicated GPU really bugs me for some reason (even though all I do is listen to music, surf the web, and watch movies :laugh:).

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I've done updates as they come, but have not noticed any decreases in performance. I'm a set it on the table type, iPad is for other uses.

1 person likes this.
  20. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I have a Mid 2010 Model A1278 / 2.4, running 10.7.5, and Word takes 25 seconds to start up the first time. If i quit and start up again, 6 seconds.