• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I signed up for the beta but ultimately decided it wasn't worth messing with until it goes final. Other than Safari and other beta issues, how is Yosemite treating you? I love that Apple is naming versions after my favorite places in California.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I signed up for the beta but ultimately decided it wasn't worth messing with until it goes final. Other than Safari and other beta issues, how is Yosemite treating you? I love that Apple is naming versions after my favorite places in California.

Everything runs a bit slower on my MBA. It's the late-2010 model, so it's not the fastest in terms of specs. Other than Safari and Sparrow for email, I can't comment on Yosemite. I only use my computer for the very basics.

Aesthetically speaking, it's much more pleasing to the eye, I will say.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not tried Yosemite yet, but did just get the new MBP Retina. The difference in performance is insane. Plus smaller and lighter. Thinking of dumping the iPad.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to Yosemite and in particular the cross device features with ios 8. I have an iPad Air but don't use it much and have a feeling when I upgrade to the iPhone 6 I will spend even less time with the iPad. Have to say now that I have a new battery it's like a whole new world with the iPhone. I went from about 2.5 hours of active use to 8 hrs of active use and my phone will stay at 1% for a while without dying. Feels better than new.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just ordered a new battery for my MBA. It's currently at 45% health so I'm looking forward to some freedom again.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
God, Safari is ******* terrible on Yosemite Beta.

I cannot believe this.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And right on cue, Apple decides to replace defective batteries like mine. Too bad they didn't make this decision 2 weeks ago before I got so fed up I bought a battery and did it myself.

Just replaced my iPhone 5 battery with one I bought on eBay. After looking at ifixit, didn't seem like it was worth spending $80 and waiting at the apple store. After having done it, I don't know if I would go this route again. It's a bit harder than it looks and there is lots of room to brick your phone.

Now that it's done, definitely looking forward to new and improved battery life as my old one was down to 40% of capacity - in retrospect I think it failed about a year ago but I always assumed it was because I was running too many apps, etc. New one checked out as an OEM battery with 1402/1430 mah capacity and was manufactured in June so it wasn't a salvage unit.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And right on cue, Apple decides to replace defective batteries like mine. Too bad they didn't make this decision 2 weeks ago before I got so fed up I bought a battery and did it myself.
This is the kind of stuff that has been chipping away at my loyalty to Apple.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but on the other hand how many manufacturers replace batteries for 2+ year old devices. Slightly unfortunate timing for me but I'm sill good with my new battery and I guess the time saved.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, but on the other hand how many manufacturers replace batteries for 2+ year old devices. Slightly unfortunate timing for me but I'm sill good with my new battery and I guess the time saved.

If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that Apple will reimburse owners who have replaced their batteries on their own dimes. Will most likely need your receipt, obviously.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone is jizzing their pants over the iWatch's ability to "control everything in your home!" with the HomeKit API.

While I understand the Internet of Things (I hate this phrase) is in its infancy and here to stay, I don't see widespread adoption for another couple of years or so. Very few homes are connected in such a way that you really could "control everything in your home."

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't understand why everyone is jizzing their pants over the iWatch's ability to "control everything in your home!" with the HomeKit API.

While I understand the Internet of Things (I hate this phrase) is in its infancy and here to stay, I don't see widespread adoption for another couple of years or so. Very few homes are connected in such a way that you really could "control everything in your home."

Agreed. I have a couple Nest thermostats in my vacation home so it's properly cooled when I arrive, but the general public isn't paying $250+ for a thermostat for a long time. These type of tie-in wifi systems are pretty expensive right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads