1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Apple's own battery life tests don't support this. They published the same or slightly better for the 6 and ~15-20% better for the +.

2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

So Walt Mossberg is lying?

3. sonick

sonick Senior member

I am amused at all the iPhone lifers complaining about the size, when everybody else has already been using larger phones for years now with no qualms after a few days of getting used to it.

Months from now you'll have forgotten you ever complained about having a larger phone.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Who knows if he is lying but his evaluation of the battery life is way better than the manufacturer claims. That is suspect.

5. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

Sorry but I've been using the HTC One (which is roughly the same size as the iPhone 6 ) for over a year and I still haven't fully adjusted to the size, that's after six years with iPhones. And it ain't amusing!:(

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

WTF, this update requires 4.6 GB of free storage??? I deleted a bunch of stuff just to get myself to 2.2 GB available.

7. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I am D-loading on my phone and iPad. 4.6? I heard 1gb....

8. dcg

dcg Senior member

That's what I heard as well, but not what my phone's telling me.

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I've been hearing a day and half on average for the 6. Two on the 6+.

10. Jr Mouse

That was John Grubers take in his review on the 6. It still feels a little large to him but he expects to get used to it within a couple weeks.

The 6+ is a different matter. I don't think I'd want to have to carry around a phone that big all the time. Seems like a pain in the ass.

11. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

clear out some of your text messages. All those dick pix sent like that will eat up your storage.

1 person likes this.
  12. sonick

sonick Senior member

Particularly without some sort of stylus feature like the S-pen, I don't see much of the appeal of going for the 6+ vs the 6 if all else is the same.

I also had an interesting thought, that the iPhone 6 might have higher margins for Apple than the 5 ever did. The 5 specs were pretty flagship at its time, but for the 6 it seems the raw hardware specs for it are not as comparable vs the flagship android phones (1gb ram, lower screen pixel density).

This is not a bad thing, since they can optimize the software so well to run on their own hardware they have the luxury of using more inexpensive hardware while still getting the same/better performance as competitors.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  13. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

If the battery was that good then it would've been in the presentation. They said "improved" for a reason. The reviews aren't nearly as positive from non-fanboy sites. It's good but missing a lot, scratches easily and is way too much bezel. Could've been a lot smaller with the same screen size

14. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I'm going to hold off on upgrading to ios 8 until there is a definitive answer on the best software upgrade path to an iPhone 6. Would prefer not to set up my 6 as a new phone and just carry everything over as is but seems like lifehacker or someone else will come out with the best approach and would have to have upgraded to ios 8 prematurely if that ends up not being the best move. I can wait until Friday when my 6 arrives in any event.

15. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

wouldn't you just do a backup of your current phone and then set up the new phone from that backup when you activate it? If you do it on a computer via iTunes, it will ask you if you want to set up the phone as new or from a backup when you plug it in.

I downloaded iOS8 and then did a restore. I like to start fresh and clear out all the "other" bullshit that's been building up. When I get the 6 I guess I'll just migrate the backup because there's so much storage that "other" isn't going to bother me all that much. Plus, I'll be migrating a backup of the fresh install, anyways.

16. Jr Mouse

What are you talking about man? The battery life numbers are listed as clear as day on Apples website and have been since the presentation. They also most certainly did provide hard numbers during the keynote and didn't just claim the battery life was "improved." I can only assume you didn't bother to watch the keynote or do an ounce of research before making your post.

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...one-6-event-the-3-most-surprising-announ.aspx

17. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

T

No one watched the botched keynote live and I have too much work to sit down and rewatch it all. I have apple and have no problem with ape but the dropped the ball with the 6. The phone is too big for the screen size (see LG G3). The camera is far from the best (Sony or lumia). 64-bit is a gimmick that serves no purpose under 4GB RAM. The phone is pretty, I like it. I just think it's not as revolutionary as Apple used to be. I bought the iphone 1 for a reason. I am not as blown away as I used to be.

Similar to their watch, it's really ugly, but the craftsmanship and features look great. First time. It'll improve. I just think I may leave apple for the first time.

The hype was too much for the result I guess. I was disappointed.

18. Jr Mouse

Ok, you still could have taken a moment to Google it before claiming that the review sites who have been glowing about the battery improvements over the 5S are "fanboys."

Cameras are getting stellar reviews too. Apples been one of the market leaders in that area for years. Remember that overall photo quality with digital cameras is just rarely informed by its megapixel count.

For me, they brought in one of the features I was most frustrated for. Extensions. Sure I'd like to see them let me set my default email client, but I no longer feel the urge to switch that I had before ios8 was announced.

19. 4frnt

4frnt Well-Known Member

My initial reaction to iOS8 is....underwhelmed. Took me about an hour to fully download and implement the new software.

20. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Shouldn't have tried to download iOS8 on hotel wifi. Ugh