• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Apple Discussion Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Held some phones in my hand at target the other night. The 12 Pro Plus Megahuge whatever was much too big, but I already knew that.

They didn't have an ordinary size 12 on hand, but now I'm kind of pondering the 12 mini. Because there's almost no bezel area, the screen on the mini is about the same size as my pixel 3...and honestly, I already have trouble reaching the far corners of the screen with my preferred 1-handed operation (especially as a lefty, since people seem to like to stick buttons in the top-right corner).

Downside to the mini is that there's no "pro" version. You lose the long lens (which I don't care about that much...wide is the big benefit for me), but you also lose the LiDAR sensor and other fancy features.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My wife had an 11 Pro and went with the 12 Mini for the smaller size, but ended up returning the 12 Mini. The lack of pro features and degradation of camera quality from the 11 Pro was noticeable to her.

I have the 12 Pro Max which is fantastic, but you're right, it's big and the camera sticking out the back is not the most elegant thing in the world. That said, I was a fan of the 5 back in the day with the square edges and this harkens back to that design just blazing fast.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My understanding is that the camera quality should be identical between the pro and non-pro for the normal and wide--same sensors, same lenses.

The only big difference seems to come in the big one (which is off the table). The lidar/and software differences are very condition dependent--in tough scenarios the pro will work better, but it doesn't seem to have a huge effect in everyday nighttime shots. I don't really need fake-portrait-at-night, which seems to be the big place where the lidar matters.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
phones make for a terrible form factor as far as AR goes. I suppose Apple wanted to try its hand at implementing it in a small consumer product and test the waters for new tech adoption. It is now working on AR glasses so having a lidar-enabled compute device in your pocket could be very useful.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.