• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

New mac pro is neat though. Glad to see a true tower mac back in existence (even if I would never buy one myself).

rbalexandrite

Reaction score
$1000 for a stand? Maybe IKEA could offer an alternative.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brought my keyboard into to be fixed and it broke less than a week later. :fu:

emptym

Reaction score
My 6 week old MacBook AIr crashes one to two times a day. No keyboard issues though.
That's not good. My 6 mo old one hasn't crashed once, I don't think, not even w/ Word (several docs), Safari (several tabs, even playing Netflix), Skype, Photos, Messages running at the same time. I wonder what's causing your issues. Have you taken it in?

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally Apple will change.

Wait, so am I reading this correctly?

1. A new Macbook Air will be introduced with the old scissor keyboard.
2. A new Macbook Pro will have the old butterfly keyboard.

That seems weird to me, but I don't really care since I'm only going to buy the Air. I don't understand why they would stick with the buttefly for the Pro though since it's ostensibly going to cost them a lot of money to continually fix.

But I also assume:

1. Current Macbook Airs will still have the butterfly -- it's impossible to switch to a scissor
2. Therefore, people like me, who bought a new Air this year, will just have to buy yet another laptop later this year when the scissor Air is introduced.

Is that right?

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple will wait until next years redesign to put the new (old) keyboard in the pro. Seems stupid to me selling a product with a well known defect. Still glad I bought my new pro before the switch.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm not thrilled with the fact that I have to buy a new laptop, but the butterfly on mine is really, really annoying. Just typing this entry, I've had to backspace delete about five times because things double register.

bruceclark

Reaction score
Wait, so am I reading this correctly?

1. A new Macbook Air will be introduced with the old scissor keyboard.
2. A new Macbook Pro will have the old butterfly keyboard.

That seems weird to me, but I don't really care since I'm only going to buy the Air. I don't understand why they would stick with the buttefly for the Pro though since it's ostensibly going to cost them a lot of money to continually fix.

But I also assume:

1. Current Macbook Airs will still have the butterfly -- it's impossible to switch to a scissor
2. Therefore, people like me, who bought a new Air this year, will just have to buy yet another laptop later this year when the scissor Air is introduced.

Is that right?

To be fair, I’d say just use the Air and be happy with it. To me the reliability of the butterfly keyboard is the issue, the feel is great (my opinion obviously). So, unless you do have an issue, why worry about it? Also the new Airs that came out today still use the butterfly switches, so I don’t think anything keyboard related will be fixed until 2020 anyway. I’d be astonished if Apple releases new scissor switch Airs this year (not going to happen). Maybe it will be on new MBPs this fall with the new rumored 16” model.

As for costs, I assume the fix has quite an operational overhead, new chassis, machining, etc. At Apple’s scale, and considering they have to fix keyboards they already sold for years to come, they’re probably not in a hurry to fix the issue for cost reasons. Personally I think it’s more a customer satisfaction and brand perception problem.

bruceclark

Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm not thrilled with the fact that I have to buy a new laptop, but the butterfly on mine is really, really annoying. Just typing this entry, I've had to backspace delete about five times because things double register.

Just read this post. Yeah if you’re having these issues then you’re in the rock-hard-place spot. In my experience with a keyboard repair the full bottom case had to be switched (I.e. new computer minus the monitor) so it shouldn’t happen again so quickly. Maybe they have changed how they do repairs, or maybe you’re unlucky. Either way it sounds super annoying. Maybe time to switch to an iPad Pro with a keyboard cover. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads