1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I don't have any experience with the new laptops but would absolutely get Apple Care if I bought one. It's always hard to gauge how big a problem it is from reading random complaints online. Yet it does sound like there have been issues with the last couple models.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Mahatma Jawndi Dubiously Honored

3. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

The new air should be more like 1k, particularly with an education discount. I had one of the current MacBooks and the keyboard was fine. Had trouble with the screen and batter though, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I'm getting the new Air in a week or so.

I'd also get Apple Care.

Thinking of the price of the laptops makes the prices of the new phones even more crazy (since they're about the same). Imo the high price (and large size) of all the new phones is a big part of why people aren't buying new iPhones.

4. dieworkwear

Mine is coming out like so:

$1,400 for the Macbook Air with 256gb storage (the only upgrade I'm getting)
    $250 for AppleCare
    $20 for USB-C to USB Adapter
    $160 for recycling fee and taxes

Total is $1,826. Not totally $2k, but pretty close and I feel like ... that's kind of a crazy price for an entry level laptop, right? There's only one upgrade. And tbh I'm only getting AppleCare cause I'm worried about the keyboard (have happily gone without in the past). Adapter is necessary since they took out the USB port. And can't skip taxes.

I've spent so much time reading about this online, but all the info is speculative and I feel like I've come to no better of a position. No one really knows the failure rate for the third gen keyboard, but the first and second gen were bad enough to generate three class action lawsuits (and get Apple to guarantee repair beyond even warranty). Some suggest maybe Apple is working on a new touchscreen keyboard, so they're reluctant to come out with a new non-butterfly model. Others speculated last year that a new keyboard would be released in Sept, but that didn't happen.

I can keep my old laptop around, I guess, but it would be really annoying if I end up having to take a machine in for repair every few months.

Casey Johnson's coverage of it is the best I've read so far (The Outline is so well laid out, btw).

https://theoutline.com/post/2402/the-new-macbook-keyboard-is-ruining-my-life?zd=1&zi=tx4arqbn

Also I'm sure people saw, but Apple had a pretty bad day today on the stock market on reports of lower-than-expected earnings.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/02/apple-warns-on-q1-results.html

5. emptym

Wow, that is a lot. No discount? I never get the upgraded memory. What do you need/want it for? I have tons of pic and docs but still use under 100 gigs.

Thanks for the article. Loved the ending. The only thing I didn't like was when he said a broken key "literally" when it was obvs figurative. My exp. w/ the current MacBook paralleled his when he wrote this:

When the screen broke, the whole top had to be replaced. When the battery died, the whole bottom. And our tech guys (it's my work computer) said they all use the old Airs, which have the old, repairable keyboards. They just said they're more reliable than the current crop. I currently have an old Air on loan while they wait for the new one to arrive.

One other thing the article reminded me of: in the last few weeks when I had the current MacBook, the spacebar wasn't working right. But instead of double-spacing like his did, mine didn't space at all, about 1/5 times I'd hit it.

Definitely seems like Mac products are on a decline. If I were you, I'd probably wait and keep my old one for a while.

6. dieworkwear

I have ... .. ..... a lot of photos of men in my computer.

Dressed men, but just gigs and gigs of photos of dressed men.

7. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

My son has had two Apple laptops in ten years and never an issue with his keyboard. He is a typical guy that drops it into a backback and jumps on the train or a plane and never an issue.

My independent Apple tech (former Genius Bar) said I should consider as an alternative to the new laptops which are about $2K, for me to buy an iMac for around $1200 and the new iPad (larger size) and the flexible keyboard. with the total being a bit over $2K but getting a two for one. The screen on the new iPad is remarkable.

8. emptym

^That's an interesting idea. I like being able to sit anywhere and type though.

@dieworkwear, I got the new Air yesterday and so far it seems great. More durable than the MacBook and with a little more feedback from the keys. No idea if dust will eventually disable it though. I really like the fingerprint ID. It works immediately.

9. Van Veen

Van Veen Distinguished Member

I’m considering ditching the laptop and going with a Mac Mini. I want to leave Apple but I don’t want to go to Windows. Linux is out because of Adobe CS. So I’m basically stuck.

I’ve had really bad luck with durability of MBPs. Fool me once etc etc

10. the shah

the shah OG Yamamoto

You could just use gimp or run PS in vine tho

11. Jr Mouse

3A5C7538-BD73-4ED1-A38D-DA96A761129F.gif

12. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019

13. jcman311

jcman311 Distinguished Member

Well, Apple always used proprietary connectors because... they were better. The industry finally stepped up and usb-c is now the best technology. Apple already uses it on their laptops, so why not switch everything?

14. Jr Mouse

Most rumors say otherwise. That they have plans to stick with Lightning for the IPhone.

My take is that they will stick with it till they start making iPhone with no ports at all. I don’t think they have reason enough to go USB-C and the port has several disadvantages for them.

15. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

I dunno. iPad Pro switched to USB-C (and obviously the macbook was ONLY usb-C)

How long do they want to limp along with fractured cable standards within the iOS family? No ports seems extreme. I can see apple doing it, but it seems to be about 10x shittier than no headphone jack.

-People who don't want to charge headphones
    -People who want to charge quickly (thanks to physics, wireless charging just can't pump as much juice subject to the constraints of phone design)
    -People who want to charge while using their phone
    -Say goodbye to small and simple car mounts that you can charge (now they all have to include a wireless charger)
    -Speaking of cars, goodbye to CarPlay for anyone who doesn't have one of a handful of cars that support it wirelessly.