1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

I was in a similar situation, looking for an upgrade to a 2.5 year old SE. I wanted the smaller size, but I’m not going to wait indefinitely for it. I just got an 8 to replace it. The larger screen takes some getting used to, as I don’t have big hands, but it’s working out fine.

2. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Comment a friend posted on facebook

When I see those Apple earbuds...THIS is what I REALLY see!

FB_IMG_1539311666818.jpg

3. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Not really Apple, but this is where people talk about phones...

I ordered a Pixel 3. I'll be joining all of the iphone users in no-headphone-jack #courage land.

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Waiting for the XR. Not sure why anyone would spend more for the XS over it. The cost difference to benefit ratio just isn’t worth it.

5. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

Spotted: dongles!

IMG_20181102_092802.jpg

6. Loathing

Loathing Distinguished Member

There’s always a segment of demand that wants top-of-the-line. It’s not about rational cost:utility maximisation. These are Veblen goods.

7. Lepkon

Lepkon New Member

Who can advise whether I need to change the antivirus on the Macbook Air?
    I use Avast. I watched the rating and Avast does not occupy a leading position. In many ratings Kaspersky is a leader.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018

8. cloberts19

cloberts19 Member

I don't even have an anti-virus on my MacBook Pro and I've been using it for 3 years already.

9. Loathing

Loathing Distinguished Member

The website you've linked says that the rankings are sponsored by some of the antivirus providers named. I wouldn't trust any ranking websites like that.

Apparently this Macworld article is a reputable source: https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/mac-antivirus-3672182/

Having said that, I don't used antivirus on my macs and I've been good for 12 years. Probably reckless but still.

10. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

I bought an iPad Pro as a hopeful work laptop replacement. So far, so good, although predictably, editing documents and spreadsheets sucks.

Anyone else trying this?

11. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

That's why I like my surface pro.

You edit documents and spreadsheets in PC Word and Excel like a normal human.

It is kind of mediocre as a true tablet, but it works well with the pen and can run normal programs.

12. Rumpelstiltskin

Rumpelstiltskin Distinguished Member

Surface Pro trumps the Ipad Pro in every way except battery life

13. HRoi

HRoi Stylish Dinosaur

Mmm but i already have the iPad :confused:

14. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

New favorite use of the surface pro

IMG_20181212_140845.jpg

15. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

My work supplies me with a MacBook of some type. For a few years, I had an Air, which was great: never broke, never got a virus, and I only charged it at night since the battery lasted all day. They replaced it last year around this time with a regular Macbook. It was super small and light, but the battery would only last about 5 hrs, despite being advertised as 9-10. Just a couple weeks after I got it, it started to slide off of my lap. I reached quickly to grab it but where my hand hit the screen, the screen shattered. Our IT people said it was because the screen went all the way to the edge. No way to repair the screen, so they issued me a new MacBook. That one lasted about 10 months before the battery began to die unexpectedly and a "service battery" icon appeared. Our IT guys said it probably died so early because the machine doesn't have a fan. Apparently, the batteries aren't replaceable either..., so they decided to cobble together the good screen and motherboard from one computer with the battery and bottom parts from the other. They said then shorted out when they plugged it in for charging.

So now I have an older Air on loan while a new, 2018 Air is on order. It's interesting how the old Air is noticeably larger and heavier than the MacBook (2 pounds vs 3), but it also feels noticeably more balanced and better made. Hope the new air is more like the old Air than the newer MacBook.