• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am I the only one that is totally unwilling to even think about buying the x until they fix the terrible ui compromises?

stevensn92

Reaction score
As for iOS11, big deal for iPads, not for iPhones though. I don't really like the screen not, and letters are too big. But I really like the new way of notification, no need to clear it up in both lock screen and notification center and the fast button, I don't personally think that would help users much, but still now I can add alarms in a fast-mode approach

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Phone arrives tomorrow.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It occurred to me the best way to think about the screen on the X.

X is to the 6/7/8 what the iPhone 5 was to the 4.

Both are 20% taller then the phone prior with no added screen width.

On a side note I wonder if a lot of Plus users who have become used to the width on their phone and the advantages it provides might find themselves disappointed if they move to the X.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't talk on the phone. Like I said, I just want to be reachable in the case of emergency, that's it. Battery life of active LTE doesn't bother me all that much. Work and home both have very fast WiFi networks

All good. I guess I just find $120/year ($10 month average plan) hard to swallow to be able to not carry my phone on me at all times. If I was planning on using the LTE for other functions then maybe.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for iOS11, big deal for iPads, not for iPhones though. I don't really like the screen not, and letters are too big. But I really like the new way of notification, no need to clear it up in both lock screen and notification center and the fast button, I don't personally think that would help users much, but still now I can add alarms in a fast-mode approach

There are some great additions to iOS 11. I love that taking screen shots now let’s you go directly into an app to edit the images. Makes workflow much smoother.

Also being able to scan documents into Notes as PDFs is really nice. No longer have to rely on 3rd party apps.

I still hate how cluttered/ugly Control Center now looks, but I guess I can live with it.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good. I guess I just find $120/year ($10 month average plan) hard to swallow to be able to not carry my phone on me at all times. If I was planning on using the LTE for other functions then maybe.

Absolutely, I see your point about cost. It's about $5 a month here in Canada- but I probably spend that on a lot of other bullshit things during the month that don't add nearly the convenience LTE on my watch would. The Hodinkee review confirmed my expectations. I suppose only time will tell /pun

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a mid-2011 MBA that is showing its age- thinking about just getting a 12 inch iPad pro/keyboard/pencil and using the Air to continue not downloading torrents like I haven't been.

The only thing I'm not excited with on the iPad is how cumbersome it would be to use Office applications compared to their x86 versions.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Meh, I'm already locked into dropbrox as an app to do this. Apple's cloud does nothing for me except for photos and music.

I ditched Dropbox after I lost most of an important note in a botched sync.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I normally preorder the new iPhone within a few minutes of it going up on the site, but not this time. I can't see any significant improvement other than it looks new and cool.

The inductive charging kinda pisses me off because it will force me to buy a few mats. And my phone doesn't have any issue handling current usage so the A11 chip doesn't seem like a value-add.

I'll still get the new one but will prolly wait until my regular upgrade is available

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Meh, I'm already locked into dropbrox as an app to do this. Apple's cloud does nothing for me except for photos and music.

I just find having features built into the OS tend to be a nice addition. Even if third party apps can already do it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads