1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I like the new look and feel overall. Not a fan of extending the new font to the keyboard keys. The remote app no longer works in landscape mode. I had to change my wallpaper because of the whole parallax thing. If anything my devices feel faster, not slower.

2. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I'm digging it. I thought I would hate the new email and messages apps but I like them better. I'm glad the skeuomorphic shit is over, I always felt it was tacky.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

text messages now have time stamps too if you swipe to the left from the right-edge of the screen.

Similarly, you can go back / forward in apps by swiping from the left / right edges of the screen in apps. EXTREMELY useful for web browsing. Multi-tasking is awesome, too.

:slayer:

I'm extremely happy with iOS 7.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  4. dcg

dcg Senior member

Nitpick time - I hate that folders only show 9 apps when you open them now (as opposed to 16). Nice that you can have multiple pages within folders, but given the choice, I'd rather have 16 on one page. And yeah, I can see the UI stuff getting annoying. Other than that, no major complaints.

FYI - new image size for parallax is 1040x1526. Need to redo my lock/home screen images. Minor nitpick - the fact that folder backgrounds automatically turn a color similar to your background means that my cool bamboo background results in nude colored folders that look awful.

Bonus - you can swipe left on texts and it shows the time of every text. Don't remember being able to do that previously? (edit - should have read GreenFrog's post :embar:)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Weird that they didn't update Find my Friends and Fiend my iPhone to the new UI guidelines. Must have ran out of time.

6. dcg

dcg Senior member

What kind of fanboi allows his g/f to walk around with 3 generation old Apple hardware?!?!?!? :nest:

3 people like this.
  7. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

"girlfriend"

1 person likes this.
  8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

lots of stuff I like about 7.

except for one thing that I think is dumb: finding a specific song takes forever now, especially if you have a lot of albums of one artist. You have to scroll through each and every song you have of the artist until you find what you're looking for, the upgrade is simply Apple trying too hard to be "different". I'd like a list for Artist, a list for Album, and a list for Song.

9. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

ive had all kinds of trouble....my phone wont discover any bluetooth devices...pain in the ass. Also, iMessage is fucked. Says its awaiting activation...when i try to login with my Apple Id...no dice. :fu:

I shouldve just stayed with the old.

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

By the way guys, you can turn the parallax effect off in settings > general > accessibility > reduce motion. It's a neat feature but all it really does is eat battery.

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

^Turned mine off as well. Wish they'd let you do the same with the UI transitions.

12. Jr Mouse

Try this fix: settings > general > reset > reset all settings.

That might help. It fixed my battery problem and I read it fixing others issues too.

First releases (.0) often still have a few random bugs to work out.

13. Jr Mouse

I'd like to see tests done on the difference with or without parallax on the battery. I know it can affect performance on older devices, but I haven't seen any data to indicate it has a large effect on battery.

Anyone else running it on their iPads? You can tell Apple still has a good amount of optimization to do there. They focused on the phones first.

I wonder how long before they start pushing out updates to fix things.

14. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

did not work. Definitely not gonna run the update on my ipad.

15. dcg

dcg Senior member

Nice new feature - used to be that when text message/etc. notifications showed up on the top of the screen, you just had to wait for them to go away (or click on them) if they were blocking some action you wanted to perform. Now you can swipe up to dismiss them.

16. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Parallax is pretty sweet on the iPad- works on both of my devices just swimmingly.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm not sure I like the way tabs are presented in safari, especially when you have many open. I think the way apps are presented for multitasking would work well here too.

Maybe I just need to get used to it.

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

Yeah, I'm still not a fan of the Safari mobile app. Chrome is still the standard- I like the hiding feature they rolled out.

19. Jr Mouse

They didn't want safari tabs to mimic the new multitasking. Not sure I'm a fan either, but have got used to it.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I never was able to take a liking to Chrome, although the one feature I like about it is how the top bar appears / disappears based on how you scroll. Safari still hasn't nailed that mechanism correctly.