1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Why is iStat discontinued?!?!?!

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

I've had my iPhone 5 since launch day, and have never once had a desire for a larger screen. I have a desire for better battery life just about every single day.

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

How ironic. The larger screen would give you a larger form factor; and therefore a larger battery would be available.

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

But if it's slimmer, the overall capacity of the battery could be lower.

Also, a bigger screen = higher power consumption.

I welcome a larger iPhone, both because I've had an Android before and appreciated the larger screen size and also because I think it will sell like hot cakes and boost my AAPL shares :).

Last edited: May 3, 2014
  6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It seems unlikely to me that Apple would skint battery life if they decide to go with larger screens. Hell, I want an iphone the size of an iPad Mini. Who actually uses the phone as a handset any more?

7. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's less to do with this and more to do with the fact that I don't want to carry around something the size of a graham cracker.

1 person likes this.
  8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

My current Apple lineup:

• Macbook Pro 13" with retina display - early 2013
    • iMac 27" - late 2012 (work computer)
    • iPhone 5
    • iPad mini (first generation)
    • Apple TV (second generation)

I'm really happy with this lineup, and, except for the barely-touched iPad mini, everything sees daily use. Next purchase will be an iPhone upgrade in 10 months.

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Do you carry a wallet?

Maybe Apple should come up with a iPhone Shuffle. With no space for a keypad and crap voice recognition, it simply calls your contacts randomly.

1 person likes this.
  10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

I do. I can fit exactly what I need: 1 debit card, 1 Amex card, 1 Metro card, 1 NY State ID, and 1 pic of my wife. Not room for much more. Cash is via money clip.

11. AstroTurf

AstroTurf Active Member

^^^ Talk about a mood swing...
    If you like a BIG PHONE fine.
    The iPhone 5/5s is right on the border of one handed operation.
    Anything bigger, and, It takes two hands to handle a Whopper.

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

The one-handed operation and comfortable pocket portability are crucial to me. I was slightly disappointed with the 5 initially because the larger screen prevented me from easily tapping buttons at the top of the screen without repositioning my hand. Can't imagine liking anything too much bigger.

Either a thinner phone or a phone with longer battery life, though, would be excellent.

13. AstroTurf

AstroTurf Active Member

The 5s has better battery life.

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    A 4.4 to 4.7 inch iPhone with the bezel around the screen minimized would still be fairly easy to hold and wouldn't take up much room in one's pockets. More so if they do choose to go thinner then the 5S. Now the screen would loose the ease of one handed operation Apple has prided itself in so far, but my opinion is the market will force their hand on this.

What I don't see them doing is getting into the Phablet market. All these phones larger then 5.5 inches are ridiculous.

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Yeah I know. Just saying, hopefully they'll push it even further (which seems likely).

16. AstroTurf

AstroTurf Active Member

Agreed, better battery life is a plus.
    One of the reasons I didn't buy a 2012 Macbook Pro.
    Went with an iPad Mini Retina instead.
    As a matter of fact, after having set up the Mini with the Apps off the phone. I may drop back to a flip phone and save some data fees.

17. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

BLEAHHH I WANNA GIANT IPHONE. When you guys get old like me you'll want one too. Plus I have a legacy unlimited data plan that I want to make the best use of. I want a laptop replacement. I'll take anything up to the size of breast wallet.

It does make sense for Apple to expand the product line. I would think you'd want one model the size of the 5, one approaching Fablet size, and perhaps a candy bar size model. Maybe even something the size of the Nokia 7380 or smaller, given improvements in voice.

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i like candy bars. I carry them around in shopping bags.

also, my Macbook Pro's retina display blew, out of warranty.

19. AstroTurf

AstroTurf Active Member

Here ya go...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

There's no reason to believe improvements in energy usage won't lead to longer battery life even if the new iphone's nominal battery capacity is reduced. Look at the Haswell updates to the macbook lines - the 13" rMPBs have slightly smaller batteries than the 2012 versions and double the battery life. The new Galaxy S5's screen is 20-30% more energy efficient than the S4. I don't know why anyone would be surprised if the new iphone has a bigger screeen, slightly faster but far more efficient SOC and much better battery life. Sure, bigger battery would also mean better battery life, but that's not the only way to get there.

I'm 1.5 years into my iPhone 5 and it's pretty clear to me that this I have plenty of processor power for this phone to stay relevant for years, and expect that with smaller manufacturing processes, lower voltage, etc. Apple will be able to crank out sufficient processing power with lower energy requirements.