1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm not. But then I'm not doing warez or anything like that. Think the main threats for OS X come from downloading and installing pirated software, There was a hacked version of iWork that had a malicious payload. OS X itself has a certain level of malware protection....http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4651 for my uses I don't think I need any more.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Anyone know why my iPad Air while streaming Baidu is not showing up on my TV via airplay?

Got it to work after an update.

For 3rd party apps or just browsing the internet, is AirPlay function alone worth keeping the AppleTV? I don't have any subscriptions to the default channels that come with the device. I just thought it would be convenient if I wanted to stream onto a larger screen.

And is there anyway around cropped screen so it fills out my flat screen TV?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  3. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

So, what's going to be happening with the iPhone 6?

4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

There are free services available thru the AppleTV depending upon where you are: YouTube, Crackle, Vimeo, PBS, Smithsonian Channel, and Podcasts. So even without paid services I'd say it's worth it.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. gort

gort Senior member

I don't know why anybody bothers with "mockups" for phone predictions.

3 people like this.
  7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Yeah. Really, nothing is known.

8. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I hope it doesn't get that big.

9. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Yeah, I could see them eventually offering two phones of different sizes, but I can't imagine that they would go up to a 5" screen size for their only phone.

10. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I'm more interested in what iOS 8 is going to look like and be capable of.

2 people like this.
  11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Yeah, no one really knows anything at this point. It's too early even for legitimate part leaks to hit the web. It's all rumors right now.

I do suspect they will go larger with the screen. Something around 4.4 to 4.5 inches, with a decreased bezel around the screen to minimize the phone itself getting larger. The interesting question will be if they will introduce more then one screen size or not. Some rumors have pointed towards a "phablet" iPhone (5"+) hitting the market too, but I have my doubts they will go there.

The other rumor floating around is it will be much thinner then the iPhone 5. This IMO is a mistake. The iPhone 5 is thin enough and I would rather them keep around the same thickness and add a larger battery, then continue this absurd horse-race to make the thinnest phone on the market. At some point they stop being comfortable to hold when they get too thin. Never-mind the fact that you are also fighting against your camera optics too.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Latest rumors indicate the 6 dropping with a 4.7" screen, narrower bezels, and thinner build. Battery life I bet will be around the same as the current 5s', if not slightly better (around a 10-15% boost).

Phablet is rumored to come out, but not until next year due to production issues.

New Apple TV should be dropping this year, too, with motion sensing capabilities. Apple purchased the company that developed the kinect for the Xbox One. It sucks so bad on the Xbox, but if Apple gets it right with the new Apple TV, massive win.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  14. Jr Mouse

I bet if you polled most iPhone 5S owners and asked if they would rather see the iPhone 6 be thinner or have Apple keep the current thickness with a much improved battery life, the battery would win by a mile. Maybe I will feel differently if these rumors prove to be true and the device feels fantastic in your hands, but I honestly don't think progressing further down this path makes sense.

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

yeah and apple clearly always polls their users for features users want

16. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I think it'd be mixed.

People were initially angry that the 5 was lighter, saying that the heft and weight of the older iphones felt better in their hands. And that's how everyone reacts to 'radical' changes to the iPhones -- they initially hate it, then come to appreciate it and then like it.

I like the idea of a thinner, lighter iPhone 6, as long as battery life doesn't decrease. Could Apple keep similar dimensions and improve battery life? Absolutely. But that's not Apple's style, especially when it comes to a new flagship model. They're in the business of impressing consumers through design first and then functionality, so it makes sense that they'd opt to wow people through a slimmer form factor and not 'dramatically increased battery life.'

I trust that they're making the right decision.

17. Jr Mouse

I'd argue that Apple generally balances form and function. The Macbook Air is a great example of this.

Like I said, we really don't know anything yet. What I can tell you is my iPhone 5 doesn't feel all that comfortable in my hands unless I have a case on it. The thinness of the phone is a factor in this. Would a phone larger in the other areas negate this? Maybe, but i'm really thinking we are approaching the point of diminishing returns even from an industrial design standpoint.

Keep in mind it's not just the battery that stands to be improved by not going much thinner. As I pointed out before, it could impact the camera optics.

Still it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I agree with the prior post that I am much more interested in where they are going with iOS 8 then the hardware.

18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I like the idea of a thinner iPhone that with a case will be the same size as a 5.

19. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I want more battery life and a bigger screen. Meanwhile Apple needs a cheaper, smaller unit for global markets. It makes sense for them to expand the form factor range.

20. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Looks like the iPhone 6 could be as thin as the current iPod touch: