1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I hate f.lux's default settings. I have it so it doesn't go quite as yellow and stays at the same level of yellow all night rather than getting progressively more funky.

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

You've forgotten to credit an 11 year old post from MacForum that you just copied and pasted here for no apparent reason.

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Welp finally lost one of my AirPods today. It was good while it lasted.

95% sure it's in my apartment and might turn up yet, but damn it's annoying. Back to wearing wires like an animal....

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  4. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Okay, a bit behind the times. So I picked up a 27" LED nonthunderbolt Cinema display for cheap - hooked up to one thunderbolt 2 port, the other one has my old 'big' monitor, also 27" with the same resolution. So now with the MBP itself, I have three 2560x1440 monitors. Nice.

The old hackintosh is now running windows 10.I'm using it as my 'word' machine - I want consistent formatting, I've had bad experiences when interchanging between Mac and Win versions.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

If you can get the 10.3 public beta, it has a find my airpods feature. I'm not sure how effective it is though because when I tried to use it after not using my airpods for a couple days, it was useless because they were "offline."

Seems like you have to have used it recently in order to pick up the signal.

6. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thanks for the tip. Might give that a try before the battery wears down.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Geeze. How long have you had them?

Like GF said, try the "find my Airpods" feature.

8. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Worked like a charm. Found it. Thanks @GreenFrog!

I've had the AirPods since December and love them. I'm usually good about putting them in the case when they're not in my ears. Need to be a little more careful to always do that I guess.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I just discovered that if you put something warm on a trackpad it really screws it up until it cools down.

Interesting.

10. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

So how's everyone liking the AirPods?

I'm still sticking with the adaptor + Shures for most of the time but I'm thinking of picking up a pair just for the office since I don't want to deal with wires walking around.

11. the shah

the shah Senior member

pretty happy with mine so far ... not the most amazing audio experience obviously, and i still get looks in the streets (maybe that's just my outfits though) but the freedom it affords is worth it for me. even go running/gym with em...

1 person likes this.
  12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You come to realize how liberating AirPods are when you go back to using wired earbuds.

Had to do that the other day at the gym. Awful. Just goes to show you how restricting the wires are.

The first month I had mine I never saw anyone else with them on the streets of NYC. Now I see them once or twice a day.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  13. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

As far as size and design are they identical to the earphones that come with the iphone?

14. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

+1. Felt the same way when I had to use my EarPods once at the gym a few weeks back.

Also, relevant to this forum, from an aesthetic standpoint, it looks better not having that cord hanging across your torso. Especially if you're wearing a coat and tie, that always has look kind of bad to me.

I have yet to see someone in my city wearing them but expect to start seeing many soon.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison but they look and feel the same to me (besides the stem and no wires obviously)

1 person likes this.
  16. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Airpods get a thumbs up from me. Only complaints are the Siri or phone controls-only operation, and that they go flying like two like poles of a magnet if you even touch your ear

17. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

For small earbuds/in-ear headphones, I agree to a certain extent. Not so for full size on and over ear headphones. There is something about wireless version of them that has never looked right. It feels much more natural to have a cable with those types, but I guess that's a feeling that may fade over time as wireless becomes much more prevalent.

Having said this, Airpods still look weird to me. Like cheap plastic earrings. Still haven't seen them worn in the wild.

I'm pretty happy with my wired Sennheiser Momentum headphones. They look and sound great. When Bluetooth 5.0 becomes prevalent and the iPhone supports the standard i'll consider going wireless for my main headphones.

18. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

After getting my order canceled by AT&T twice, managed to order it from Macy's of all places. Should arrive Thursday.

19. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

What did you order?

20. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Airpods. Got a set of Earskinz as well since the wired ones that come with the phone feels like they're about to fall out.

1 person likes this.