1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Since that guy from The Verge left for Apple it has been complete garbage.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

When I first saw that, I thought it was an April Fool. Then I saw the new MacBook Pros for myself at the Apple Store. I'll pass on these, and stick with my last year's one.

Next MacBook Pro will have no ports at all, completely wireless except for MagSafe charger, Apple AirPods optional extra.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Too late, MagSafe is already gone.

1 person likes this.
  4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

My AirPods + charging case lose about 20 - 30% charge overnight even when I don't use them. Seems to be a somewhat common issue with the earliest batch AirPods. Took them to the Apple Store today and they're giving me a new set as a replacement. There aren't any in stock unfortunately so I have to wait a week or so and make the trek again, but it's good to know that this draining issue was atypical.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

Broke down and bought the above, as Costco has had it on sale recently for $1299. Barely got it out of the box, but initial impressions are very positive. Not quite sure about the keyboard, but haven't played much with the new ones on the Macbooks, so can't say if better or worse. Also not sure if the trackpad is up to Mac standards; I'm the lone holdout who still uses the ThinkPad nipple, so this'll be a transition for me. But overall build feels rock solid, great materials, and slick design. Love that the bezel is almost nonexistent. Tiny footprint for a 13" machine.

More to come once I've had a chance to play with it some more. Now back to your regularly scheduled Apple discussions.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Trackpad's always seem to be an issue. Apple really nailed it in that area.

To be honest I kind of like Windows 10. It's a fairly solid OS and hardly ever gives me issues. OSX is still nicer and all, but I have no problems with my Windows 10 machine at home.

7. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

If you like the Thinkpad nub, why not go for the Carbon X1? I think you can get similar specs (maybe a lower res screen) for ~$1.2k. Even cheaper if your company is part of that employee purchasing deal.

8. otc

otc Senior member

At least your Dell didn't come with the thinkpad nub. God damn, Dell's copycat implementation was awful.

I've got some crappy dell latitude E6420 (client's computer that I pull out once every month or two to VPN into their network) with the nub and it is almost unusable. Might be OK if you are used to it, but any muscle memory of a thinkpad and it is impossible. The trackpad on it is tiny and awful too (but that's probably true of all older generic windows laptops).

I'm a lover of the nub...especially enjoy scrolling with the nub since it requires no movement. That being said...trackpads have gotten so good (and we've gotten so used to interacting with phone screens) that it is no longer a requirement for me.

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Anyone own one of these ultrawide curved screens from LG or another brand? They look sexy as fuck. Would love to replace my two screen set up with one of the larger ones.

[​IMG]

10. dcg

dcg Senior member

Had one at work and it was a complete POS. Pretty much everything that could've gone wrong did go wrong. IBM techs out to fix it 3x, basically replaced the whole thing piece by piece and it still wasn't right. Not sure if I got a lemon, or if thinkpads aren't what they used to be. Shame because I've always been a huge thinkpad fan. On a T460s now and it's ok, but XPS seems like a better package other than keyboard/missing nub.

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Agree 100% re:scrolling. I've used dell versions in the past; definitely not up to the thinkpad standard, but better than nothing. My biggest concern about the xps is getting used to a laptop with no nub.

12. otc

otc Senior member

You will probably suffer in the bedroom as your skill fades and your lack of practice becomes apparent to the ladies... But such is life.

2 people like this.
  13. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Back to a late 2010 Macbook Air whilst waiting for a new OSX desktop

14. the shah

the shah Senior member

right off the bat , running anything more recent than the 1980s on 2 to 16 MB of ram could be a massive hindrance to performance :teach:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  15. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

16. chobochobo

Okay, will get a 2015 macbook pro whilst waiting for a decent Mac from Apple.

As an aside, I finally did a clean install of El Capitan on my hackintosh, and it's certainly much better. But I think I don't have the time to muck around with Unibeast/ Clover/ bootloaders etc. I just want a decently performing machine, that isn't too much to ask, is it?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  17. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

2015 MPB is GOAT MPB.

18. chobochobo

Okay, I'm now typing this from my newly acquired MPB 2015. It's the absolutely loaded version - i7 2.8G/ 16G RAM/ 1TB SSD/ Radeon graphics. And it's got an SD card reader! It's still under warranty until this May, and I've just paid for Applecare.

Everything is opening super quick including the 300mb powerpoints that were the reason I had to do a clean install on my hackintosh. But even so, it's much faster than my hackintosh (3.5G i7/16GB RAM/ SSD/ GTX760). Damn.

This will tide me over for a while, my next target is a Surface Studio for my Window needs.

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

20. otc

otc Senior member

I dunno, but I have trouble getting down with f.lux. I absolutely hate it on my GFs Air.

I am already predisposed to dislike it because I use displays that are color calibrated (and I don't have the brightness cranked up...so they aren't that bad at night anyways)...but something about running it in a laptop screen that has viewing angle color shift just bugs the crap out of me.

Android actually has a similar knockoff feature built in now...it isn't gradual, but at 11:30, my screen goes yellow. But because the screen doesn't shift with viewing angle, it isn't so bad. On the Air, it just looks ugly and unnatural as shit.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that...with hardware and OS-maker support, perhaps they could come up with a better implementation that doesn't drive me nuts.