1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. otc

otc Senior member

They didn't have any touch bars on display when I went intoa small Apple store last weekend.

The non touch bar 13 was pretty slick though.

Considering it has multiple usbc ports and a headphone jack...I think I could get behind it. USB c is here to stay, and I don't care about lightning... so it beats the MacBook by a long shot.

Although I'd still like to have seen something allowing easier external display connection. What is the deal with external monitors on them? Can I have 2 or just one? Good quality and refresh rate?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

If you went last weekend, they weren't in stock yet. You should be able to see them at most, if not all, stores now.

Gotta say, I've adjusted to the keyboard and it's pretty great. The old keyboard feels mushy and antiquated in comparison.

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

4. otc

otc Senior member

Tempting, but...don't really want to pay 10.25% sales tax on it for in store pickup.

Can get for $1399 with no tax from Adorama or BH though...

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I will say that having used both the non touch bar and touch bar mbps, the non touch bar is the way to go.

It has noticeably better battery life, the touch bar is pretty useless (for now; we'll see how it evolves over time as apps support it), and the 13" is ridiculously light and portable.

Edit: the touch bar is also glitchy af with safari tabs. The bold border outline that denotes the currently active tab distorts and doesn't behave correctly as you close and open tabs. The attached screenshot shows as if there are two active tabs being viewed -- impossible, obviously -- and the one on the right denotes a wider border as if I only have two tabs open. I have four open, which shrinks the widths of all the tabs. Can't believe they didn't catch this in testing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Wouldn't the more logical place for the touch bar be between the keyboard and the track pad? Why would I reach all the way to the top of the keyboard to switch tabs when a short flick with my finger on the trackpad goes to the tabs with the mouse.

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

"VGA, HDMI and Thunderbolt 2 output supported using adapters (sold separately)"

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The problem with that placement is that it gets in the way of your palm placement when you're typing on the keyboard. Barring that, I do think it's much better suited down there though.

9. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

You rest your palms on the computer when you type? Only my finger tips touch the computer when I'm typing.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Yeah. I think you're probably in the minority there with your lack of palm contact.

11. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Not the first time these two have argued whether the fingertips or the full palm technique was more satisfying...

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

lmfao I was waiting for someone to make dat joak

13. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Is a iPad Mini 4 32GB for $300 w/ tax a good deal? Why isn't there a website that aggregates high-low prices from a calendar year or historically?

@phosej Did you end up buying?

Edit:
    Order in process, in-store pickup at Best Buy and it's on my commute to work anyways. Only second Apple purchase :embar:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  14. phosej

phosej Senior member

@gettoasty I think the website you are looking for is http://www.camelcamelcamel.com

And yeah I gave in and bought a refurbished ipad mini 4, 64GB. Just received it today actually and I love it

1 person likes this.
  15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Okay gang, after about a week with the TB MBP, my recommendation is: don't get it. For now, that is. The TB is useless and a PITA more than it is helpful. I long for the standard function keys at top for controlling the brightness, volume, etc.

I think within a year, things could be different for the better as more apps support it. But for now, it's clunky, glitchy, and cumbersome.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Finally got to check out a 7 yesterday and that new click is weird af. It reminded me of how those Blackberrys felt where the whole screen clicked. I think when they get rid of the home button it'll feel more natural like the touchpad on Macbooks but right now it just feels weird.

17. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

After two months with my 7 I think I'm less satisfied than I've ever been with a phone before. It hangs all the time, especially when trying to make a call, check missed calls, or do pretty much anything within the phone "app." I don't know if this is a software issue or a hardware issue, but it's annoying.

Also, Bluetooth connectivity sucks. None of my other phones have had problems connecting to my car, but this one rarely connects to the phone function of my car and when Bluetooth audio is connected when I receive a call it no longer functions when I hang up.

The newest iteration of Apple Music is also shittier than the previous version, but that's unrelated to this phone.

I'm approaching the point of considering giving up on Apple.

18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The 7 is my favorite to-date. Battery life is superb. I love how the home button feels; the tactile home buttons now feel dated and unsophisticated in comparison. Haven't had any bluetooth issues. No complaints whatsoever, really.

19. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

In accessories news, I got a Spigen Tough Armor yesterday and after some slits around the power button to make it easier to press it is excellent.

Has anyone experimented with the Qi things? I'm considering giving it a go.

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Not trying to dismiss your experience, but it's the opposite of mine. Wonder if you got a faulty phone? Sounds like we use our phones the same way.

I got that "Horween leather" case from Nomad btw. Would not really recommend. Leather is def. better than the OEM, but not durable. Already have a random rip on it