1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Galaxy note 7 is doneskies! No more production.

2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Just woke up and saw this: http://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/11/apple-shares-high-samsung-scrapping-note-7-brand/

I guess (as you alluded to earlier) thinking beating the iPhone 7 to the market because it seemed like low hanging fruit was the dumbest thing they could've done - doubling down on that - well...

Judging from this thread and reputable review sites like Ars Technica, people are loving the iPhone 7.

3. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I wonder how many people are going to turn in their Samsungs for non-exploding iPhones. Although, I suspect they're more likely to try a Pixel.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  4. otc

otc Senior member

Unless they need a non exploding phone today. Are we at the point where you can walk in to any store and get a 7+ without waiting?

Pixel XL would be several weeks out, especially if you didn't preorder. And the marketing for it is a little confusing... Makes it sound like the pixel is Verizon only.

5. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Yeah, it looks to be VZ only. However, where I live, AT&T sucks. I've had them since 1999, interned there, and my dad worked there for more than a decade. I switched to VZ for the iPhone 7 and like it - not love it, but like it more than AT&T.

6. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Oh, right. They just announced it not released it :x

7. otc

otc Senior member

But it is not vz only. Your can buy it straight from Google for the same price (and with financing and a free vr headset). Works on every US carrier.

Verizon is the only carrier currently selling it directly, but if you buy from them, you get a locked phone and probably some Verizon bloat software...

Verizon must have paid for all of the marketing... Otherwise why wouldn't Google want direct sales?

8. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I really don't think the axing of the note 7 is going to majorly boost iPhone 7 sales as the stock action seems to suggest. Maybe they'll get a couple hundred thousand more but to the tune of million(s)? Doubtful.

Feels more like a boon to the pixel more than anything.

1 person likes this.
  9. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I'm a moron that didn't realize the Pixel was fully unlocked. Does it work on all bands? As you know, the various iPhone 7 models don't work across all bands - well the AT&T one anyway, which makes no sense why they did that.

10. otc

otc Senior member

Yeah, pixel just works

11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I feel like the days of buying locked phones are basically over, no? Aren't most carriers switching to month-to-month plans? I know my parents saved a bunch of money switching to Verizon's.

12. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

If you sign up for their 0 interest installment plans though the phones are still locked, at least with ATT.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

T mobile and att models have the intel chip whereas sprint and Verizon ones have the Qualcomm chip.

Supply chain leverage so that apple can pit the two companies against each other to lower component costs.

The Qualcomm chip is arguably better because it supports both GSM and CDMA. I'm using a Verizon phone in fact with my t mobile sim just because there are no t mobile 7s in stock.

14. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Interesting and spot-on point on supplier leverage. I'm guessing neither company has an issue with fabing, so that likely a non issue.

15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Yes. Just walk into a Best Buy, Target or even a Wal-Mart. They almost always have stock in when the carrier stores and the Apple store are on waiting lists. It's a bit more a a hassle dealing with the general phone reps in these stores, but they can get you the same phones, under the same carrier payment/installment plans that the carrier stores offer. I was easily able to get my iPhone 7 128 gig in matte black at a Best Buy Mobile store in a local mall. I know several Targets near by had them in stock too. This includes the 7 and the 7+.

EDIT: Only thing you won't find is the Jet Black version, but there is stock for all other colors.

16. Jr Mouse

Regarding the exploding Note 7's there has been some interesting talk about what the underlying cause may be and it may be similar to what's causing the "touch disease" on some iPhones. The belief is it's all related to the lack or adequate shielding, of which is directly related to how thin these phones have become. It's becoming harder and more expensive to implement proper shielding for certain components with the room available within the phone's bodies. So as we see the bell curve continue to shift towards thinner phones with more powerful components there will be an increased risk of these issues. You have to wonder if we will see more exploding phones in the future?

17. otc

otc Senior member

build them back up to "Phone with case" size. Fill the space half with physical protection and shielding, half with larger battery.

Bonus points for no more camera bumps.

1 person likes this.
  18. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

The official galaxy note 7 return kit from Samsung. Can also be used to transport infectious disease samples to the CDC.

4 people like this.
  19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but some banner notifications I get on iOS 10 don't disappear. They just sit there at the top until I manually swipe it away.

Why the fuck does it do this? All notification settings have them set as banners so they disappear after awhile.. and I've even noticed notifications from the same app behave inconsistently (i.e., will disappear one time but stay floating the other).

20. Jr Mouse

I'd say this is starting to look very likely.