1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Interesting point that Apple's system is almost certainly recompressing your music. No way the wireless audio is lossless, and possibly not whatever format the lightning port is using.

So instead of your mp3 getting decoded and sent to the DAC, it is getting transcoded to some other lossy format first. And in the case of most wireless headphones, probably getting decoded by a DAC that is optimized for battery life, small size, and low latency rather than quality.

But here why it doesn't matter: everyone else is doing it too. Maybe they haven't fallen on the headphone thing yet, but the other manufacturers are still playing all of the same games Ive is engaged with. Thinner phones with no battery life that demand a thicker case for protection. Camera parts that stick out so that level of thin can be achieved. Bloated width and height accommodate larger screens that make one hand use difficult. It is all there at Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc.

People will keep buying the iPhone because they are already locked in to the ecosystem and what are they going to do? Switch to an Android phone that has the exact same problems (except for the headphone jack)? Use an old iphone forever? Might as well just suck up the stupid design decisions. If not for the 7, then for whatever comes next.

1 person likes this.
  2. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Just give Jony a couple more years :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  3. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Despite the bitching all over the Internet, I wonder how many of us are waiting for 12:01 PT.

4. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

1 person likes this.
  5. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

^ seems like a satirical video a 6th grade dropout would find funny.

2 people like this.
  6. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

It was mildly amusing.

I'm intrigued by the dual camera in the 7 plus, but the rest is meh.

7. otc

otc Senior member

The 7 is what the 6s should have been (plus a headphone jack).

Maybe it is time to start slowing down release cycles?

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

The 6S was a fine upgrade. I would also argue that if you ignore the fact they didn't change the body of the phone and the removal of the headphone jack issue, the 7 is a great update to the line.

9. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Already 3 minutes late. First world problems suck.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Pre ordered my jet black 128 plus but it was unavailable already the moment it was back up wtf.

11. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Is there something mentally ill over there?

[​IMG]

12. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Matte black 128 gb iPhone 7 on the way.

I've been living in 16 gb iPhone hell for the past year. Can't wait.

13. Mulan

Mulan Senior member

In two to four years, the single charging port will be gone as well. All in the name of being, "revolutionary," in wireless charging. No vulnerable points, aesthetic beauty all around, or whatever PR ask Tim to spew out during the keynote. As for music and movies on your phone? fuck all your non iTunes files.
    :foo:"We are fully committed to our support of creatives and a stand against piracy.":foo:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  14. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

For being the largest publicly traded company, being a tech company, and being a Si valley company, the level of incompetence is quite amazing for something as simple as load balancing servers for a product launch.

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Hmm what carrier? Sounds like the problem is the carrier's systems based on the error message you posted?

Wondering if I should have got the jet black. It looks amazing but I think the fingerprints/scratches would make me nuts.

16. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

T&T, but that's a moot point. It's not as if Apple and the carriers were surprised by this event. It literally would have involved both of them going to Amazon and saying we need some more bandwidth.

Really pathetic in 2016 to not figure this out.

17. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Just saying, maybe AT&T is the point of failure, not Apple. But I don't know.

But yeah, that sounds frustrating.

18. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Random observation:

It's really amazing the level of emotion Apple announcements and releases inspire.

19. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Right - 84 hours talking about a new camera when even a completely awkward Zuck or Gates or Musk or Page can say something in a minute that is much more coherent.

You can watch Jobs introducing the original Apple II, the Mac 128k, the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad - they were all shorter speeches. Correct me if I'm wrong - I'd say they were more transformative products.

20. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

It's fucking amateur hour over there.

[​IMG]

Seriously how fucking hard could this be?

Fuck this. Get a simple god damn system in place.

1 person likes this.