Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

—Mini would free up some desk space, if that matters to you.

—Mini is potentially cheaper, if budget is an important consideration. With the iMac you're paying for a display, which you probably don't need if you already have two externals. I can't imagine using three displays :)

—iMac has better specs, but if you're mainly doing word processing and web browsing, it may not matter a ton (spec comparison: http://www.apple.com/mac/compare/desktops.html).

I used a 15" MBP with a 30" Cinema Display at my last job and usually kept one frequently used app open in full screen mode on the MBP. The retina display is so nice, I found I preferred it to the 30" screen sometimes.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

2. stickshift

stickshift Senior member

I vote mac mini after the Haswell refresh. That will put the mini on par with the current imac, sans discrete graphics card. The Iris integrated graphics on the Haswell CPU should be enough to power two 27" displays.

3. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

^ I'm leaning that way too—though who knows when that update will happen. If you can live with your 2009 machine a while longer, you may want to see if the Mini gets a quiet update before year's end.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

4. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

^that's what I'm waiting for really :)

5. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Anyone been going caseless with the 5s? Is it as prone to scratches as the 5? Especially the sides.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Returning my MBP to the Apple store cause I found out Best Buy is having a Black Friday deal for the 15" MBP with a $200 off discount.

:embar:

Edit: I can't stand my MBA... feels cheap as fuck, the color saturation is an absolute joke, and the screen is tiny. I have to spend 13 more days with this relic :(

At least it is really, really light. Carrying my work laptop with the mbp made my laptop bag significantly heavier.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    iOS patch just hit. 7.0.4. Says bug fixes and improvements. Downloading now.

8. nainaidebi

nainaidebi New Member

that right,it is just part of the "experience." Hard to tell at this point. Seems that on my 4S it doesn't have the Airdrop functionality.thanks
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

9. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Does anyone have any recommendations for a podcast app? The native app has really started to suck since the updates. It defaults to putting video podcasts on my phone, my audio podcasts won't update, podcasts downloaded to my computer won't sync with my phone anymore, The whole thing is a complete piece of shit. Apple has completely sabotaged podcasts.

10. chobochobo

Might just forget about waiting for the mac mini refresh and go back to windows with a Dell XPS 8700.

11. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Yeah, I tried to like Apple's Podcasts app but am back to using Instacast again. I think it's the best podcast app, and it has a Mac app counterpart too. I know some people like Downcast.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Cables have always been a weird thing with Apple. They tend to be smaller, lighter and more nicely designed then you see elsewhere in the industry. Yet they are not that durable. I've gone through laptop charging cables for my Macbook and the cables provided for the iPad and iPhone never last long.

13. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

I use tunein radio. They seem to have pretty many podcasts on there or, if you can catch it, you can listen live to whatever show.

14. chobochobo

Quite tempted with the Dell 8700 particularly since they had a silent update and upped the RAM and GPU. Or I could try to build a Hackintosh. I've built PCs in the past but I think those days are behind me and I just want something to work :)

15. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Thanks for the recs guys. I'll try them out.