1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. otc

otc Senior member

Moto has some cheap phones that still provide a good experience, so it must be Samsung's crap, or hardware that looks good on paper but which hasn't had much firmware optimization.

My 2013 moto x is starting to show its age, but it doesn't feel that much worse than my gf's brand new SE (although I did notice that her uber app started up twice as fast as mine this morning). I clearly have an Android boner, but I've spent plenty of time using iPhones (set up with my accounts and everything)... Several times I have been close to buying one (I would have really enjoyed having a 5s had the timing worked out). They definitely win the snappy UI battle, although only barely against "real" Android, and upon release, they usually have the best form factor and hardware.

But something always kills it for me. This headphone jack thing almost certainly kills it for me on principle unless they pull out something mind blowing. The top of the line Android experience has pros and cons, but overall it is at least equal to the iOS experience.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Thinking about this lightning headphone adapter... Will it emerge from the phone at a right angle?

If not, how far out is your headphone plug going to stick? 90%of my headphone use sees the phone in a pocket... Often a tight pants pocket that bends when I sit.

Stick some inch long adapter out of the phone and I'm going to start breaking stuff with the leverage

3. the shah

the shah Senior member

He's incorrigible

4. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

This post is full of sexual innuendos that someone needs to tap.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

otc needs the 3.5mm headphone jack so he can jam his cock into it for docking purposes.

Let's just say that "information" is disseminated one way.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with Samsung's modifications to Android and all the bloatware they add. Keep in mind they somehow manage to even make a top of the line flagship phone have spotty performance compared to the competition.

http://www.xda-developers.com/with-...delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

The biggest issue I have with the Android platform is how hard it is to get "real" Android. We get a couple Nexus models a year and if we are lucky a couple more make it to market without modifications. I also don't want to deal with rooting a handset just to get it to perform how it should and get timely updates.

7. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

True. Or they could have made 64 the base with flash memory prices plummeting over the past few years.

8. otc

otc Senior member

I agree with that. I still can't tell 100% what's in it for Samsung to keep doing this shit. Why spend money developing this crap when google is willing to develop better versions for you at no additional cost?

Although I haven't rooted a phone since my original Galaxy S1. The moto X isn't bone stock android, but motorola's additions are unobtrusive and some are actually pretty nice (and they are more like "added features" than "replacements for perfectly good stock features"). Simply having a standard OS has its benefits--although you have to wait for AT&T to stop fucking around and actually provide updates, you also don't have to ever think about "should I update to version .3.2.012??? Will I have to wipe my phone to do it???". Rooted my Nexus 7 at some point (pre-marshmallow) to allow it to read SD cards from a USB reader...but that only required visiting a website and clicking "root me", and that functionality is now built in to android >6.0 IIRC.

The apple update system is really nice because they can bypass the carriers and aren't dealing with idiot OEMs. Although If I wanted to read SD cards on my iphone, I'd need a $30 official lighting reader (that I can't reuse on my computer) and they only started supporting it on phones with ios9.2. There's something to be said about it being possible on android for many years with a $2 usb cable instead of a $30 single-purpose dongle :)

But hey, I'm waiting to see what happens. My company's phone reimbursement money is burning a hole in my pocket and is going to get spent in the next month or two.

9. Jr Mouse

Branding. The skinning of the OS helps Samsung brand their phones as their own and make them look and feel different then the competition.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Harambe makes them do it.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

So excited for tomorrow!!!

[​IMG]

12. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

This is unbearable.

Update - throw up mode now.

Update 2 - how much time can you take to say it has a fucking new camera?

Update 3 - Phil, shut up. This is a set of wandering words. Now the head of Instagram. You're fucking saying the same shit that Phil said.

Update 4 - a terrible presentation by all involved. Going to get some food. How the hell do you use 200 words when one would work.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  13. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

fixt.

1 person likes this.
  14. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Lol

15. Jr Mouse

From The Verge live stream of the event. Nilay nailed it.

They didn't make a strong case at all. All we got was some talk about it taking courage to do so and how it would make for a better future for iPhone users. Then they showed off some strange looking wireless earpods that are a $159 purchase and offered us free adapters.

:foo:

16. sonick

sonick Senior member

#courage #iphone7

2 people like this.
  17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm super fucking stoked.

Getting the 7 plus in jet black 128 gb and dat airpods!!!

The two disappointments I had were the lack of true tone in the display and that you seemingly have to "connect" the airpods every single time. And it looks like you can only connect them when you take them out of the case. Weird.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  18. Jr Mouse

Also the AirPods look like they use the same general shape of the current Apple headphones. While I find them super comfortable, I am not at all sure I would trust them to stay in my ears during a run or bike ride. With the wired headphones you know it's safe if one falls out. These wireless ones? Not so much. Quick way to be out $159...

19. sonick

sonick Senior member

What's the claimed battery life on the AirPods?

20. Jr Mouse

5 hours and the case is able to charge them when they are put inside it. I believe the case itself carries 25 hours of extra charge. The real question is how long will the case take to charge them?