1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

Certainly not cheap, but I just didn't feel like getting another Imac. My 2009 Imac was really not making the most of my 2560x1440 dual monitor setup, as well as not having USB3. I would have been happy with an updated mac mini I think; MacPro would have been overkill.

Specs: i7, GTX760, 16G, 2x120G SSD (for dual boot) and a 2TB caviar black, and other stuff

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Ah sorry I don't know so much about large desktop rigs. I know more about what making whatever Lenovo laptop you got into running OS X, preferably Thinkpads. ... I've yet to come across USB 3, drives and things.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. chobochobo

I have the system in hand, looks nice (Bitfenix Prodigy WH M). It's been a while since I've seen a BTO system - the innards are very different from what I was doing ten years ago.

Prepping the installation USB with Unibeast now and will do the business tomorrow.

4. chobochobo

Done it. If anyones interested, it's really nice. Super silent, much faster than my 27" imac, which I feel (as I'm typing on it) is on its last legs.

5. chobochobo

An update if anyone interested, now installing Windows 8 to the second SSD. Tried to be 'lazy' and not disconnect the other HDs but getting an Error code 0x80070570 at 0% installation. Googling suggested a DVD disk problem (legit disk) but in the end bit the bullet, opened up the case and disconnected all drives except the windows target. Now gone past that error message, fingers crossed.

6. chobochobo

And it worked. Installed 8 from legit DVD, then updated to 8.1. Then did the HFS, NTFS and time sync fixes and now I have a true dual boot system. For all it's unwieldiness with a nonTouch screen 8.1 is looking much nicer than Mavericks, at least on my dual monitors (the second one is a 2550x1600 or something like that, which the imac was not driving properly).

7. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Anyone setting up new Apple products on Christmas?

No new gear here, but I'm performing the usual update-your-parents-software annual duties over the holidays.

8. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

You pay for a hackintosh in time... sound drivers, updates to the OS, etc...

9. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I'm seriously considering switching from AT&T to T-Mobile. 4G LTE coverage seems to be on-par with AT&T and Verizon in the major cities and $70 for unlimited everything is very compelling, given that I get the bare minimum (450 minutes voice, 3 gigs data, but unlimited texting) with AT&T and I still pay $90 per month WITH a 20% corporate discount.

I heard a rumor that T-Mobile is considering paying off peoples' ETFs if they jump ship to them. If that were the case, I'd do it in a heartbeat and get a 5S.

10. chobochobo

Yup, a hackintosh would be higher maintenance, though I did update to 10.9.1 without any issues apart from reinstalling the sound driver - I'd read that others had updated uneventfully with one proviso about the sound, before I did it myself.

Generally still happy, I have a dual monitor system with dual SSDs for true dual boot, and two 2TB HDs (one is a Carbon copy clone of the other, done weekly). Much faster than my old imac, excepting the Maverick bugs. And that Mac Mini update still hasn't materialized.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Thinking about jailbreaking my iPhone 5 with iOS 7. Has anyone here done it with evasi0n 7?

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Dropped my phone again today, hard. Now the front screen is all spider webby just like the back screen. Think it's now time for a new one.

13. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Sorry to hear brah.

No joke, I literally just bought a gold 5s unlocked for t-mobile. Gonna go pick it up at my local store shortly.

I've decided to switch to t mobile. Their unlimited data plan at 70 bucks is way too compelling, given that I pay 90 bucks with att for just 2 gigs. That also includes my 20% corporate discount.

[​IMG]

:bigstar:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

Noob. I pay $75 with unlimited data with the government employee discount with ATT. I know I will be forced out of this contract soon though.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Your unlimited plan with att is not truly unlimited since they and verizon start throttling after 5 gigs of usage, or some ridiculous number like that. That's why they discontinued it.

T mobile throttles you after you use 20 TB of data a month. Lol.

And to think that att has a 50 gig data plan for 450? :sarcasm:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  16. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I've never used more than 2.4 gb and that was in August when I was streaming a lot of ball games on my phone.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I was just like you -- barely used data and had very few apps on my iPhone. I definitely underutilized it, but I went on an App Store binge recently and found lots of very useful apps that are media-intensive. Also have a live news streaming app and that shit will eat data like a motherfucker.

Now I won't have to worry about watching my data usage -- liberating!

18. sonick

sonick Senior member

19. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Does internet radio on my phone use data or is that different?

20. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Yes, it does.