The Apple Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ChetB, Sep 10, 2013.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

When did Apple start making hair care products?

[​IMG]

2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I'm really tempted by the watch.

It just about has the potential to make my key fob and CC's at home. I live an extremely simplistic life, and it'd be great to go around with just a driver's license, one check, a CC, a phone in my pocket, and a watch on my wrist.

Both of my cars can be unlocked by the Apple watch (either directly or via a side-loaded app) and my building is going full on Apple watch so I can (eventually) get through without my fob. Also, my bicycle computer can be replaced by it. Nest should also have an app out for it, which would basically mean control over my entire house.

Eyeing the sport space gray 38mm when things settle down.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  3. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

And then one night you forget to charge your watch....

4. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Well, it would also have to include the night where I lost all three of my key fobs, their backups, my iPhone, my iPad, my concierge, my best friend's number who can remotely do this, and BMW and Tesla's remote service.

In that case you got me.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Humble brag (?)

6. gort

gort Senior member

What cars can be unlocked by the watch/iPhone?

Edit: L2READ, see BMW/Tesla above. :embar:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  7. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Not at all. I really love simplicity across a complex world. The watch could be a cool way for me to get out of my place with essentially nothing except my phone. That's sorta crazy cool.

8. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

I suspect soon we'll be able to digitize our driver's licenses, so all we'll need is our phone/watch. Iowa is testing an app for digital licenses soon.

9. scamster

scamster Senior member

that's a backdoor way for law enforcement to get you to unlock your smartphone.

at present as far as I'm aware and could be wrong on this but if you have ahem 'stuff' that you want to remain hidden on a smartphone you do not have to unlock it unless a search warrant has been issued. if you're stopped by the police and they ask for your driver's licence bingo you've unlocked the smartphone and handed it over to an officer who can browse at leisure.

10. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Been about a week of using my Apple Watch. My key takeaway and other impressions:

First and foremost, its utility is mainly derived from your ability to screen notifications and check (or not check) your phone accordingly. With a quick glance, you know if its a text message that needs replying now, or one that you can get to later. Similarly, if you get an unimportant email, you know you can just ignore it and leave your phone in your pocket.

Other than that, everything else is secondary and not super useful to me. I rarely ever open apps, let alone third party apps. The major functionalities to make them actually useful aren't there (yet?). There is prominent lag when the watch is trying to sync info updates from third party apps. That's a major downside. The watch pings your watch for info when you seek it, instead of updating it in the background periodically. I can see the pros and cons to each approach. I'd personally prefer to have it ping my phone, say, every 10 minutes for info updates, even at the expense of some battery life. I sometimes find myself getting impatient with the syncing and just moving on to another glance / app / function.

The exercise tracking is somewhat useful, but again, not as useful to me as it could be. That's primarily because my form of exercise is through weight lifting. I don't do none of dat cardio where tracking distance and calories burned are valuable. If the watch could count reps and sets, that would be cool. But it can't.

I'm going to pick up a pair of bluetooth earbuds so I can listen to music wirelessly at the gym. That'll be nifty for sure. No need to bring your phone iPod.

Overall, it's not a very useful device in the way the modern smartphone was upon its release. Its inherently limited in its capabilities and I fear that a lot of people are going to end up disappointed with the watch, expecting it to be as revolutionary as the smartphone or tablet. It won't be -- at least for now.

Battery life is better than expected. I routinely find it at 40%+ at the end of the day. That said, it could always be better. It'd be nice to be able to wear it for 2-3 days, specifically so you can wear it during bed to track your sleep and wake you up without an annoyingly loud alarm.

If they can get legit health tracking capabilities, like reading your blood sugar levels and whatnot, now we're talking. But for now, it's just a notifications device.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  11. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

For when everyone has diabetes?

12. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I was typing up a serious response, but I quickly realized I didn't want to expend the energy to. So, here's my response:

Yes.

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I think if you've got diabetes, you don't want to be relying on a device that isn't medically certified for checking your blood glucose levels.

14. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

There are rumors that apple is in with fda - not sure specifically what for though.

15. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

Accurate measurement of blood sugar levels with a external sensor is going to be difficult; even those devices that use a drop of blood are prone to inaccuracies particularly at lower sugar levels. Combine this with tattoogate, it'll be next to impossible to provide accurate data.