• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The appeal of ralph lauren?

dorian

Reaction score
There in a heartbeat.
biggrin.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some think his cars are over-restored. IMO, there is no doubt that he is an enthusiast and loves cars. Some argue that his collection has become part of the image-building, and that the cars are over-restored. I don't know if I would go that far, but there it has for some years been a debate with the concours crew that the cars being shown today are better than new. One good friend and prominent collector said, "A period correct repair is a lot different than many of these cars receive. It's like boobs. Natural ones aren't always perfect but at least they don't release toxic fumes when they burn."

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Ralph Lauren is an excellent marketer and figured out a way to sell "the good life" as reflected in traditional Northeastern dress, to the world.  I can't fault him for capturing what Brooks Brothers and J. Press couldn't: the essence of Prep, watered down for the mall, of course.  It has made him a very rich and powerful man, and his designs, derivative as they are, empower the masses.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.... "It's like boobs. Natural ones aren't always perfect but at least they don't release toxic fumes when they burn."
that's one for the memory banks.
thumbs-up.gif

tgfny

Reaction score
I love that it took a Jew from the Bronx to make more money on English clothing than any Brit ever did.

arvi

Reaction score
wowwwww..i'm always amazed at the amount of responses and level of emotion that RL threads spawn..perhaps we're all frustrated designers of merchants of menswear frustrated by his success..he certainly expanded on the style of brooks, j press, and let's not forget the best of them all,paul stuart..does anyone recall that one of his 1st customers, roland meladandri, actually was purveying wide ties and suits with wide lapels to those with money and a fashionforward sense (george segal, david susskind,dick cavett) before ralph lauren mass marketed it..isome of his 1st suits were really beautiful .. i don't really wear much RL becuase i don't care much for brand names..but i still admire his clothing and taste level..i prefer that all the fashion "robots" wear RL to most of whatelse is out there..
cheesy.gif

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He, as all designers do, has put out some trash.

But, I still think he's the best there is.

NewYorkBuck

Reaction score
I love that it took a Jew from the Bronx to make more money on English clothing than any Brit ever did.
I could only imagine why.....
sarcasm.gif

tgfny

Reaction score
I could only imagine why..... Â
sarcasm.gif

Not ripping him for his religion, just admire his drive and ambition. Only referenced that to show how far from the typical "English Gent" upbringing he had. His dad supposedly worked on the Rock Center murals.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why do you think Ralph Lauren has so much appeal to most people today? Reading a biography of him, there's nothing that would make you think that he would reach his level of success. Middle class Jewish kid from the Bronx. Didn't really have an innate sense of style. He admits he developed it when he and his wife would shop at all these posh shops which they couldn't afford. And, his initial contribution to fashion were the wide ties in the 70s.

I mean, it seems that this non-preppy guy basically repackaged himself as the ultimate preppy. Did he even add anything it or synthesize it with something else? Who would have thought the whole preppy thing would be so popular? It seems the preppy power phenomenom was its peak a long time ago, maybe 50.

I used to think his clothes were well made, until I found this site. Now, only Purple Label is truly good, even though most people haven't heard of it. But, I still admire him as a great business guy with him selling the preppy lifestyle as a brand.
What about Schwartzy ?

otis

Reaction score
zjpj83 - great pictures of his cars. Did you take those yourself? I've always been curious to see what I've heard described as the 'batcave' where RL keeps some of his cars in Montauk.

Patrick06790

Reaction score
I'd rather be buried up to my neck next to a colony of fire ants than walk around with that dopey little man on the horse on my chest, but hey...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zjpj83 - great pictures of his cars. Did you take those yourself? I've always been curious to see what I've heard described as the 'batcave' where RL keeps some of his cars in Montauk.
No, not me, somone I know. Here are some more for you. He has about 90 cars total in L.I.

guitone

Reaction score
Wow, 6 pages on a designer and I only have one item that has his name on the label...nice cars too if you like red....I never wear logo'd clothing, and RL pants are way to full cut for me, too bad.....I like the look of a few items he has, bought my daugher a comforter and one of the outlets.. RL while nice is not my thing.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I have a few items of his clothing and a few items of his furniture around my house.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads