1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The antithesis of SF...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, May 2, 2005.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

This is a quote from a discussion in the year 3 and 4 forum about dress codes, particularly the displeasure with ironing dress shirts.

"Dry cleaning? You ought to try polyester shirts. I won't buy a dress shirt or dress pants that aren't labeled as "wrinkle free", or at least 40% polyester. I purchased a few 100% cotton dress shirts in the past and just found they never were unwrinkled again after removing them from the package, regardless of how much I ironed them. With the 40% polyester "wrinkle-free" shirts, I still iron them, but they definitely stay wrinkle-free for longer."

We'll certainly never see that statement here.

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

My mother has told me that ironing dress shirts is just too much trouble, and that at some point I'll just have to switch to JC Penny's no-iron shirts.

Uh...yeah.

(I wonder if Chuck is going to have a no-iron in the new shirt collection...)

3. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Doesn't Eton do a wrinkle free cotton shirt?

4. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

Shudder. Thoughts from the dark side.

or,

Ying, meet Yang.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Distinguished Member

I read the following passage on a website the other day (this is just about verbatim): "A lot of people think that you can't wear black shoes with chinos. They are wrong. For business casual, a pair of black lace ups look very sharp with khaki chinos -- just look at your local army recruiter." (No offense at the military intended here)

6. Stu

Stu Distinguished Member

Somewhere, LA Guy is having a coronary.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

My father--ex-military--has made the exact same argument.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnynorman3,May 02 2005,13:43
    I read the following passage on a website the other day (this is just about verbatim): Â "A lot of people think that you can't wear black shoes with chinos. Â They are wrong. Â For business casual, a pair of black lace ups look very sharp with khaki chinos -- just look at your local army recruiter." Â (No offense at the military intended here)
    Somewhere, LA Guy is having a coronary.
    Actually, it is well known that doctors are the worst dressed professional class people there are - at least professional engineers have that whole blue collar tradition between them, and academics are *supposed* to look either tweedy or just a little off kilter. Â Doctors dress according to how they need/want to be perceived: reassuring. Â And excepting for plastic surgeons, there is nothing reassuring about someone who looks like he spent all morning trying on different outfits. Â The look should be respectable, but as bland and as unstylish as possible, so as to convey an image that says "I want to look professional, but really, I am totally unconcerned with anything other than getting that artery unblocked. Â Besides, do you know how hard it is to get blood out of a pair of Cesar Attolini pants." Â Also, you don't want to have your surgeon slip on some blood and take out most of your intestines, thus the chunky, rubber soled shoes. On a slightly humourous note, one of my brothers is a resident, and is also recently married. Â He has absolutely no interest in what he wears. Â His wife has been trying to "cool' him up for a while now, and is inordinately (and I think, unreasonably) fond of embroidered shirts.) Â So these days, at work, he wears a blue oxford, with chinos and said black shoes. Outside work, he switches to an embroidered number that Roberto Cavalli would blush at, and relaxed cut jeans. Â He is completely oblivious. Â I am trying to convince his wife that slightly oversized paisley silk shirts are the way to go. Â (I have one from Etro that I call my "Vegas" shirt, strictly to be worn in Vegas, and I haven't been there for a couple of years.)

9. fkl118

fkl118 Senior Member

Agreed.
    All I ask is that they look neat and clean.

10. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior Member

I have to second LA Guy's opinion. My brother does look ridiculous in those embroidered shirts. However, my sister-in-law buys clothes for me as well and I can safely say that she does a lot better job on me.

11. Carlo

Carlo Distinguished Member

Alan...

I am pretty thick skinned.

I took Policy's assertion that I was a gay high school dropout and laughed.

Alan - we don't joke about synthetics around here... that's just not funny.... ever

(shudder)

12. LA Guy

What about a high quality stretch poplin or gabardine (like Prada, Costume National, or Jil Sander use.) I'm being serious here. I actually like them. These fabrics allow a shirt to be cut very slim, without being uncomfortable or constricting.

Just no stretch jeans for men. Please (although it's happening a lot already. The End Times.)

13. LA Guy

Damn bro, is that really you? If not, then someone is doing a really good impression, knows way too much about my family, and we have a stalker who tracks our personal and family habits.

Didn't you love that loose white on white embroidered shirt with the baggy jeans and the Steve Madden type shoes he wore once? That combo rocked. Sort of a Chinese Pharrell combo. All he needed was to wear a visor.

14. bBoy JEe

bBoy JEe Senior Member

I was hoping he'd throw on the short sleeved black suit jacket and a Yankees hat and rock the Usher.

15. aybojs

aybojs Senior Member

Hope I don't offend anyone, but at least from my experience researching pre-law and law school forums during my (now-abandoned) application attempts, I found that the population of those boards seemed to consist primarily of the most gigantic tools and gunner-types (definitely a big factor in my re-evaluting my law school plans was, "I don't want to be surrounded by these people"). I imagine the med school boards are infested with analgous people, and that the sampling of those kind of forums tends to be the most "off" crowd, as opposed to the more well-adjusted people I know who are doing professional degree programs. For you software/IT types, think Slashdot for med students. I bet that explains a good deal of it.