• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The annual "What's your favorite horror movie?" thread

Choose your favorite first-film-in-a-horror-movie-franchise:

• Alien

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Friday the 13th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Night of the Living Dead (1969)

• Child's Play

• The Howling

• A Nightmare on Elm Street

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Halloween

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Hellraiser

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Leprechaun

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

She's a fine ass rockabilly chick that looks like a Latina Bettie Page....yes on the kinky sex though.

I love horror myself, but she's into it on an insane level. Probably good that I'm not into horror as much as her. We both clash rather frequently already since she's a TOS fan and I'm a TNG fan.

I'll let you live.

TOS? Trek Old School?

How in the hell did this thread make 74 posts without a mention of Texas Chainsaw Massacre? The fact that it's not in the poll is bad enough, but omitting it from discussion is a travesty.

Correct, but like the Exorcist films, I prefer to pretend that there is only the original. Are any of the sequels or remakes really worth more than 30 seconds of your life?

I'm hoping to snag tickets to the premier of the (certain to suck) remake of TCM, as one of the writers is my horror film buddy from high school. His family was friendly with Tom Savini, whom I had the pleasure of meeting once. I think that was the only time that I've experienced being star struck.

Which reminds me, I once had dinner with E.G. Marshall at his home. He is now best remembered as the clean freak who is eaten by cockroaches in Creepshow (hmmm...two sequels...not quite a franchise, but almost!). His oldest son was working on a PhD in entomology, and there was a fishtank full of giant Madagascar hissing cockroaches in their basement. True story!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm beginning to suspect that some of the posters in this thread are fans of Joe Bob Briggs.

I loved Monstervision, especially. Those mail girls...

"Gratuitous Kevin Bacon"
"Chainsaw Fu"

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I'm beginning to suspect that some of the posters in this thread are fans of Joe Bob Briggs.

"Gratuitous Kevin Bacon"
"Chainsaw Fu"

Oh yeah, Joe Bob was great, but he never set my loins a-tingle like Elvira did.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'll let you live.
TOS? Trek Old School?

Yeah, that's it, although I think it actually stands for "The Original Series".

"Gratuitous Kevin Bacon"
"Chainsaw Fu"

Joe Bob Briggs was awesome, I saw Sleepaway Camp as a child on his show on The Movie Channel, the ending of that flick fucked me up for life.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Yeah, that's it, although I think it actually stands for "The Original Series".

Duh, I should have figured that out. On the other hand I've spent the whole afternoon trying to remember the name of an island that I've seen probably thousands of times and visited about a dozen times. **** I think I'm getting Alzheimer's.

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey I had to look it up myself. I'm not a bright one though...

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm hoping to snag tickets to the premier of the (certain to suck) remake of TCM, as one of the writers is my horror film buddy from high school.

Didn't they just remake the Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Are they remaking it again?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Halloween (1978 only, please) is my favorite, but I'm actually stunned that you'd include a piece of garbage like Leprechaun and omit An American Werewolf in London. Fantastic movie. And no, I didn't read the entire thread just to see if it's been mentioned already. And if it hasn't, then shame on all of you!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Exorcist.

/thread

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Halloween (1978 only, please) is my favorite, but I'm actually stunned that you'd include a piece of garbage like Leprechaun and omit An American Werewolf in London. Fantastic movie. And no, I didn't read the entire thread just to see if it's been mentioned already. And if it hasn't, then shame on all of you!

I believe he indicated Leprechaun was to catch the jerk-offs, and American Werewolf in London, while a great film, wasn't the start of a franchise. American Werewolf in Paris doesn't count.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe he indicated Leprechaun was to catch the jerk-offs, and American Werewolf in London, while a great film, wasn't the start of a franchise. American Werewolf in Paris doesn't count.

Doesn't matter.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm hoping to snag tickets to the premier of the (certain to suck) remake of TCM, as one of the writers is my horror film buddy from high school.

Didn't they just remake the Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Are they remaking it again?

http://www.facebook.com/TexasChainsaw3D

Apparently it is considered to be a sequel to the original. A franchise reboot of a sort.

:fistbump:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Exorcist.

/thread

I'm wavering on this one. As I said previously, the rest of the franchise sucked donkey balls (with the exception of a couple of scenes in E3) but taken on its own Exorcist is a strong contender for the best horror movie of all time.

Thoughts on "The Version You've Never Seen" versus the theatrical release?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Doesn't matter.

Reading comprehension issues?

j/k. I really loved American Werewolf in London. Last night I bored my friends with the connections between Trading Places and AWiL.

"See You Next Wednesday!"

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I thought the re-release was weaker than the original cut. The only scene that truly made it better was the conversation between Merrin and Karras on the steps. The touring around DC **** was a waste. The spiderwalk would have been really cool if they had been able to do it right, but they couldn't so it was better to cut it.

The original ending was definitely superior, too.

By far the worst change was inserting those flashes of the demon face everywhere. Really ******* stupid.

In the original version, the face only appeared once, in Karras' dream. And it wasn't that Lon Cheney lookalike either it was Linda Blair's body double, Eileen Dietz, done up in kabuki makeup. Super scary and super effective, way more so than the Lon Cheney face. That little flash is nowhere to be found anymore except on old video tapes that were manufactured before the advent of DVD and the VYNS re-release.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads