• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The annual "What's your favorite horror movie?" thread

Choose your favorite first-film-in-a-horror-movie-franchise:

• Alien

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Friday the 13th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Night of the Living Dead (1969)

• Child's Play

• The Howling

• A Nightmare on Elm Street

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Halloween

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Hellraiser

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Leprechaun

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Whoever voted for Leprechaun, congratulations. You have selected the worst ************* ever to carry the horror film banner, and you have revealed yourself to have the worst taste imaginable. You probably drive a pimped out Ford Aspire, eat mayonnaise sandwiches on Wonder Bread, and look forward with anticipation to the next Jos. A. Banks "3 for 1" sale so that you can stock up on clean underwear.

The Troll movies were pretty goddamn terrible. Also the Amityville Horror series ate rhino nuts. The first Children of the Corn movie wasn't terrible but all it's sequels/remakes were.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I voted Halloween but only because you omitted The Exorcist and Suspiria.

I always found Suspiria boring, but the last few minutes are great.

If the question is "what is your favorite film that is of the horror genre?" I would probably have to go with the Omen, the Shining, or Cemetery Man, although the last one is more of an existential post-modern comedy.

That is a different question, and one that has had its own threads in years past. The Omen (1976) and The Shining (1980) are both excellent films, but as I've said before I am baffled by the love for Cemetary Man. One of these days I'll give it another try to see what all the fuss is about.

Suspiria has a brilliant soundtrack, weirdly surreal set design and lighting, and some brain-searingly horrific set pieces. It is the pinnacle of Italo-Horror.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

The Troll movies were pretty goddamn terrible. Also the Amityville Horror series ate rhino nuts. The first Children of the Corn movie wasn't terrible but all it's sequels/remakes were.

You, sir, are a walking encyclopedia of schlocky horror. Respeto!

Edit: the first Amityville Horror actually scared the **** out of me, but I was about 12 when I saw it.

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Exorcist III is awesome. Some awesome visuals. The old lady crawling around in the background on the ceiling? The guy with the shears running after the nurse? Badass.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score

as I've said before I am baffled by the love for Cemetary Man. One of these days I'll give it another try to see what all the fuss is about. .
It isn't even close to being the only reason, but Anna Falchi certainly doesn't hurt the film. NSFW
AnnaFalchinue.jpg

Last edited:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's my favorite, but I teach Candyman with some regularity and I've come to think it's really, really clever.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Good lord, another vote for Leprechaun? What the hell is wrong with you?!? Stop huffing pesticides, people!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I don't know if it's my favorite, but I teach Candyman with some regularity and I've come to think it's really, really clever.

I have to agree, it's a highly underrated movie, that has stood up well to multiple viewings.

How do you teach it?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Exorcist III is awesome. Some awesome visuals. The old lady crawling around in the background on the ceiling? The guy with the shears running after the nurse? Badass.

I might get some hate for this, but I feel the same way about The Blair Witch Project. I found the final shot, in particular, very disturbing. It only had a single sequel so I don't really think it deserves to be called a franchise film.

A couple of other memorable franchises that have come to mind while considering this topic are Basket Case and It's Alive. Do either of these have any partisans?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I voted for Halloween....The Omen would give it a run!

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Argento is God.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I might get some hate for this, but I feel the same way about The Blair Witch Project. I found the final shot, in particular, very disturbing. It only had a single sequel so I don't really think it deserves to be called a franchise film.
A couple of other memorable franchises that have come to mind while considering this topic are Basket Case and It's Alive. Do either of these have any partisans?

There's only one thing wrong with the Davis baby, IT'S ALIVE!

I remember rather enjoying the third one with Michael Moriarty. The mutant babies were placed on a deserted island by the government so they have to create their own mutant baby society and then Ben Stone from Law & Order fights to save them. Pretty hilarious. Reminds me a lot of the Troma films of the '80s. Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuk'em High among some other high points. But these types of films are really comedies instead of horror films. Same with the Evil Dead series, although the first one was an attempt to make a horror film the rest just turned to horror/comedy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

There's only one thing wrong with the Davis baby, IT'S ALIVE!

I remember rather enjoying the third one with Michael Moriarty. The mutant babies were placed on a deserted island by the government so they have to create their own mutant baby society and then Ben Stone from Law & Order fights to save them. Pretty hilarious. Reminds me a lot of the Troma films of the '80s. Toxic Avenger and Class of Nuk'em High among some other high points. But these types of films are really comedies instead of horror films. Same with the Evil Dead series, although the first one was an attempt to make a horror film the rest just turned to horror/comedy.

Such a great tag line! I never got past It Lives Again - I'll see if I can track down the third one. However, Larry Cohen is high on my list of Best Schlock Horror Directors, with Q, The Stuff, and It's Alive being the high points of his body of work. God Told Me Too is a lot of fun as well.

My high school drama teacher and his wife had small parts in The Toxic Avenger, so I have a warm spot for that one, but most of the Troma movies are flat out awful, and not in a good way.

I don't really get why people love The Evil Dead series as much as they seem to. The first one is a passable low budget indy, the second one is a remake of the first with better production values, and the third is just awful.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads