• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The annual 'what are you getting your SO for XMas' thread

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
What do you buy a teacher who shops at Target, is not into music, has no spare time for reading or films and has more jewellery than she can possibly wear in a lifetime?

Time off? I'm not sure how you manage that (correct homework for her?) but when I was teaching getting away from the work was the hardest part. Then combine that time-off with a trip to the spa or something else leisurely or theraputic (sp?).

I'm getting my wife...ummm, well I bought her an immersion blender so far. It has fancy attachments so she can whisk and chop too. Plus, it's red. I think she'll love it.

I'm going to get her a couple books.

I'm thinking of a vintage cigarette case to use as a tiny wallet. She mentioned it once in an off-hand manner so I don't know how much she would really like it, but I may go for it anyway.

b

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'm getting her some clothes (RL, Banana Republic, some others)
Some Victoria's Secret stuff ... that may actually be more for me now that I think about it,
And i'm also making her a really nice picture frame and some stained glass candle-holders.

Not my best christmas ever, but i'm sure she'll love it.

From all this talk though, I might see if Tiffany's will just let me buy a big blue box to throw all this **** in.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My situation is complicated by the fact that my wife's birthday is a week before Christmas, so I just buy a bunch of stuff and split it up.

This year: watch, cellphone, purse, books, slippers. Pretty mundane stuff, but then we're pretty domesticated, suburban people. Oh, and Canadian too, so there is the innate boredom of our native land to consider ...
sarcasm.gif

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
I'm thinking of a vintage cigarette case to use as a tiny wallet. She mentioned it once in an off-hand manner so I don't know how much she would really like it, but I may go for it anyway.
I've been looking at some art deco ones on eBay.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
I just went out and looked around... considering getting this http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item...+6-ri+-ni+0-t+ I am betting it is thin and flimsy... and the nearest store for me to see it in person is 2 hours away
angry.gif

WTF? You acknowledge it'll probably be a crappy product, and you tell us it will be a royal pain ********** to get it... yet you are thinking about getting it. I don't get it.
confused.gif
Also, for $325 it will be microscopic, even in the pic when they blow it up to several times its regular size, it's razor thin.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
WTF? You acknowledge it'll probably be a crappy product, and you tell us it will be a royal pain ********** to get it... yet you are thinking about getting it. I don't get it.
confused.gif
Also, for $325 it will be microscopic, even in the pic when they blow it up to several times its regular size, it's razor thin.

Hrm. I wish I could get a decent necklace from VCA for less than 500 bucks. She'd lose her ****. Yes, I realize it'd be made out of ribbon and gravel.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No clue. The only idea I've come up with is a new straw hat (we are up for a hot summer).

This is complicated by having our anniversary the week before Christmas. She's decided we should combine them into one present, which means I've gotta think of something twice as good as that.

What do you buy a teacher who shops at Target, is not into music, has no spare time for reading or films and has more jewellery than she can possibly wear in a lifetime?

Dick in a box

That aside, my fiance is spoiling me this year (my birthday and Christmas in the same week, so she decided this year to get me a few big gifts as a combined gift). Unfortunately I am busy getting paying off my debt and preparing to have money for a wedding. That and she told me she doesnt want me to blow a bunch of money like last year (Bought her a nice digicam, Sandisk Sansa C250, Cashmere sweater and scarf, bunch of other stuff).
Anyway, this year, I told her that instead of buying her a few big gifts like usual I was going to invest the money I was going to spend on her. That way we can have a good starting point for our life together. Other than that I bought her some pajamas from victoria secret, Nodame Cantabaria game for the DS, a jewelery phone strap from Anna Sui, hand mirror from Anna Sui, some thigh high lacy socks, new slippers, and some other stuff I havent picked up yet. I need to get ****** in gear and ship this stuff. All that combined with presents to her family and for her from my family I am going to raped on shipping charges.

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just started dating a new girl - a vegan and an event organizer for PETA, also very stylish and an avid fashion news follower. She just moved to DC from the West Coast so she hasn't seen much of the East yet.

Assuming we are still dating in 3 weeks (I hope I hope I hope) I think my Xmas present will be a weekend of shopping and vegan restaurants in NYC. We'd still be "new" enough where over 48 hours straight with each other wouldn't drive us crazy
tounge.gif

jeldharr

Reaction score
Girlfriend of 6 months - trip to New York for New Year's Eve (30th - 2nd), staying at the Hilton Times Square (yeah, sadly, not in TS). We live in Central IL, so it's a rather expensive trip to start, plus I'm covering all food, etc once we get there.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Hrm. I wish I could get a decent necklace from VCA for less than 500 bucks. She'd lose her ****. Yes, I realize it'd be made out of ribbon and gravel.

Get her JAR jewelry.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
Doo.Ri cashmere aweater
Cashmere gloves from Henri Bendel
Recycled blanket limited edition tote from Rogues Gallery
Gotta think of one other, non-fashion item. Maybe a recipe card box or something...

Dan

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm probably gonna spring for the following:
  • AA batteries
  • a roll of duct tape
  • lemon juice
  • a weasel
  • 10 1/2 inch mylar backed reel to reel magnetic studio tape unit, pre-recorded with sounds of humpback whales screwing
  • Batman underwear
  • a leather glove and a box of 'zinfandel rouge'
  • A ten pin modular connector for the AT&T 705MT terminal.

kakemono

Reaction score
She probably wants jewelry

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
From all this talk though, I might see if Tiffany's will just let me buy a big blue box to throw all this **** in.
lol, this is the greatest scheme ever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads