• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it all depends how you want the photos to function. This may come as a surprise to some of you, but not everyone commissions bespoke clothing to wear for the internet.
No, that's totally what I do.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For those in Southern California, Steed is adding Los Angeles to their US trunk show tour. The first visit will be on January 24th, which is a Friday. The trunk show will be happening all day. They'll also be available on Saturday, January 25th from 9am until noon. The trunk show is happening at the InterContinental Century City in Beverly Hills.

The other trunk show dates are also available right now on their website:

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Any examples of Steed MTM (or semibespoke)? I understand they are factory-made full-canvas, but any handwork in them at all?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any examples of Steed MTM (or semibespoke)? I understand they are factory-made full-canvas, but any handwork in them at all?
I have one in a Fox Bros. flannel. Very well made although I can't speak to the handwork.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Just received a MTM suit from the Steed boys. It appears to be wholly machine made. Or perhaps I should say, if there is handiwork, it's not "showcased" in the construction/details. There is also a noticeable difference in how the jackets and pants "wear" vs. bespoke, meaning they feel a lot more rigid. That's not necessarily a bad thing (I love the way my jacket fits), but it's also not the louche, soft, drapey feel I've found with their bespoke stuff. It feels machine-made, if that makes sense (which, again, is not a big deal to me, but there is discernible difference).

Not sure I've done a great job explaining, but there is a definite difference in feel. We shall see how it breaks in (I find their bespoke stuff needs to hang/be worn for a while before it finds its shape).

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a MTM suit from the Steed boys. It appears to be wholly machine made. Or perhaps I should say, if there is handiwork, it's not "showcased" in the construction/details. There is also a noticeable difference in how the jackets and pants "wear" vs. bespoke, meaning they feel a lot more rigid. That's not necessarily a bad thing (I love the way my jacket fits), but it's also not the louche, soft, drapey feel I've found with their bespoke stuff. It feels machine-made, if that makes sense (which, again, is not a big deal to me, but there is discernible difference).

Not sure I've done a great job explaining, but there is a definite difference in feel. We shall see how it breaks in (I find their bespoke stuff needs to hang/be worn for a while before it finds its shape).

Cloth can make a pretty big difference. My MTM stuff is pretty consistent in dimension and my pattern has been locked down for a while. I just made myself jacket in a lambswool/ cashmere and a suit in wool/ mohair. While the pattern is the same, the feel of the garments is very different and if I do mohair again, I'll give it a little more ease.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are you saying that there aren't hand made buttonholes and pick stitching details?

I'm curious what is actually hand done on a bespoke Steed suit. It seems most suits that are hand done pretty much just include hand padstitching, but largely the rest is a machine, granted a person at a sewing machine, not a churn out factory.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Cloth can make a pretty big difference. My MTM stuff is pretty consistent in dimension and my pattern has been locked down for a while. I just made myself jacket in a lambswool/ cashmere and a suit in wool/ mohair. While the pattern is the same, the feel of the garments is very different and if I do mohair again, I'll give it a little more ease.

Definitely. I've done a few bespoke suits and sportcoats, so the pattern/fit was surprisingly really good. The cloth is 50/50 wool/linen, so it's entirely possible it's the feel of a lighter cloth that's creating the distinction. Still, the overall construction doesn't wear the same (which is to be expected, as their bespoke stuff features handiwork/construction to the SR standard).

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Are you saying that there aren't hand made buttonholes and pick stitching details?

I'm curious what is actually hand done on a bespoke Steed suit. It seems most suits that are hand done pretty much just include hand padstitching, but largely the rest is a machine, granted a person at a sewing machine, not a churn out factory.

I'll need to have a look at the coat when I get back to the house, and I'm sure others can weigh in.

TBH I'm likely the worst person to ask about such details. So long as it checks my boxes from a fit/design perspective, I rarely latch onto the small things (this is one of the reasons I felt MTM would be a good for me).

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From their website: "Being Handmade Bespoke means that every stage of the process is done by hand and therefore can be given the greatest amount of customization and attention to detail possible."

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, collar, that makes sense, that's typical of a bespoke jacket. Nobody is hand stitching long seams though. I'm just curious if their MTM has the aesthetic stuff hand done like buttonholes, pick stitching and the like.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mine is a bit stiff as well and I expect will take at least a season to break in. I just started wearing it a few weeks ago when the weather turned. I don't think I'll do MTM at that price point anymore. Will stick to RTW and maybe go all-in for bespoke if something special comes to mind.

Capture.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads