• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Not at all Booth. I’m no Vox, I can not afford Steed ?

Just a Joe Average with an odd shape struggling to find the right garments that don’t make him look like an aging boxer ....

Alan Bee

You have a professionally shot YouTube "trailer" advertising your lifestyle including exotic cars and black tie. So, uh, perspective.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alan:
Like your suits very much. The brown flannel has lapels that are too obviously Neapolitan for my taste, but most of the DB are very nice indeed.
One thing about many of the English tailors is that their work can look boxy when new, but gradually will fold up and drape properly. There are some that are less prone to this, of course, but it happens to both soft and structured coats.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not at all Booth. I’m no Vox, I can not afford Steed ?

Just a Joe Average with an odd shape struggling to find the right garments that don’t make him look like an aging boxer ....

Alan Bee
You look great, Alan!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have avoided wading into this discussion because there's no outcome that isn't more circuitous talking. But I don't feel like doing work, and this seems like a good excuse to blow it off for a bit.

To me, this comes down to subjectivity around how tailored clothing should fit and how a man should look in a suit. There is no right or wrong answer on this front. I prefer Alan Bee's cut because I prefer more aggressive Italian tailoring.

I have seen Vox in numerous pieces from different makers, and Steed gets his body shape and how he wants to look. That may be different than what others think of optimality for him, but it's clear that it gives him exactly what he wants. I think of Chris Despos weighing in on fitting Simon Crompton as a corollary. He noted that he would fit Simon and cut for Simon differently than any other tailor whom he has used. He did not say the other tailors did a poor job, just that he would do it differently.

The discussion in that thread was also telling and fairly reminiscent of this one. There was no consensus on which fit from the tailor style series fit him best or worst. People are bringing their own biases to this discussion and seeing fits through that lens.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for an enlightening discussion. I only came here (to learn) because I read the thread from the beginning (took quite a few days) and I found the current contributors on here (and the dearly departed like @vox @Manton @foo etc) to be the best informed of all threads in SF.

I will leave it here with the sincere hope that Vox continues to enjoy his impeccable Steed garments, as well as all of you Steed guys.

Steed makes a terrific garment and I hope you all enjoys yours in very good health.

Alan Bee

Terrence O'Connor

Reaction score
Three Steeds ready to run??
C3EA6553-7155-41F1-856C-2A2EFF536B24.jpeg

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A week's wardrobe if you plan it correctly!

Terrence O'Connor

Reaction score
Here is a close-up, blue with red window panes.Sorry I don’t know the manufacturer.
I am su
image.jpg
re Mr. Dubois can tell you.

JGARY

Reaction score
I like that a lot. Unfortunately, I will be out of town and will miss Steed when they roll through Texas next week (my second or third miss in a row— I’m a bad customer). I’m always worried that guys with weird schedules like me are the reason traveling tailors stop coming to places like Dallas. I hope my fellow Texans can pick up my ever-increasing slack...

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m always worried that guys with weird schedules like me are the reason traveling tailors stop coming to places like Dallas. I hope my fellow Texans can pick up my ever-increasing slack...

I got your back. ?

Although I’m not ordering anything new this trip. Maybe next spring when they’re here next.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks like Steed may be adding Los Angeles to their US trunk show schedule.

For those interested, it may be worth expressing interest. When I first tried to get Steed to come out to San Francisco, I had to find enough people to get in on an order. I imagine they're more likely to come out to LA if they know there's business there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads