• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I do (the trim part of your question, not the boxy part). To start with, the fronts are all darted, which helps a lot. And as I said in my reply above, they further accentuate the shape by encouraging you to nip in the waist. Such an improvement over the formless suits I used to wear, when I was clueless about the way a suit should fit. Thanks to their cut and suggestions, I now look like I'm wearing an elegant suit and not a formless sack.

I've only ordered one sport coat, but the chest was surprisingly not very drapey. The coat was also a bit short, had some balance and sleeve pitch issues (which, I was disappointed to have to point out myself at the final fitting). And the shoulders were a little squared off. The coat didn't have that rounded, drapey silhouette I've seen in old A&S photos (and from my interactions with him, Colin seems to still wear in his suits).

I don't mind the nipped waist, but I was surprised by the clean chest and slightly squared off shoulders. Ended up getting my final fitting adjustments done elsewhere, so maybe the sleeve pitch and balance issues are unfair critiques, but I don't think the overall silhouette would have changed.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only ordered one sport coat, but the chest was surprisingly not very drapey. The coat was also a bit short, had some balance and sleeve pitch issues (which, I was disappointed to have to point out myself at the final fitting). And the shoulders were a little squared off. The coat didn't have that rounded, drapey silhouette I've seen in old A&S photos (and from my interactions with him, Colin seems to still wear in his suits).

I don't mind the nipped waist, but I was surprised by the clean chest and slightly squared off shoulders. Ended up getting my final fitting adjustments done elsewhere, so maybe the sleeve pitch and balance issues are unfair critiques, but I don't think the overall silhouette would have changed.

This seems to have been a really bad experience.

Do you mind sharing pictures of the piece at some point?

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No basted fitting...but curious how right they can get from just 1 meeting of measurement.

@IChen They got pretty close for me with just measurements. They did alterations on finished garments to adjust the things that needed changes and then incorporated those into the pattern that they have for me. I've seen them get very close for two others using just measurements.

Didn't know this thread existed but since the Steed MTM program was brought up, I figured I'd drop a few pieces for reference. The blue jacket was first and needed two rounds of revision, but they noted everything well and the brown jacket fit this way right out of the box. The flannel trousers in the picture with the blue jacket are also Steed MTM.

full-steed-mtm-donegal-jcmeyer-jpg.916515

steed-brown-grenadine-jcmeyer-closed-jpg.974005

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't know this thread existed but since the Steed MTM program was brought up, I figured I'd drop a few pieces for reference. The blue jacket was first and needed two rounds of revision, but they noted everything well and the brown jacket fit this way right out of the box. The flannel trousers in the picture with the blue jacket are also Steed MTM.

steed-brown-grenadine-jcmeyer-closed-jpg.974005

Those look awesome! If you dont mind me asking: what size lapels did you go with on these jackets? Were these half or full canvas? At the low or high price point of steeds MTM program?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look awesome! If you dont mind me asking: what size lapels did you go with on these jackets? Were these half or full canvas? At the low or high price point of steeds MTM program?

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the cut of the shoulder-
very Ivy League. But the jackets,
IMHO could be longer with more
taper in the waist. Also, the thighs of
the trousers seem a bit full. How much
did the jacket(s) cost?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the trousers seem a bit full.
Perhaps one of the style differences between Steed and others. Ed is a very good tailor, but has probably never had to worry about concealing his own girth or trying to make himself look taller.

I don't know if that accounts for all the differences between his work and that of, say, the Hitchcock family, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has influenced his eye to some degree.

Butler

Reaction score
Perhaps one of the style differences between Steed and others. Ed is a very good tailor, but has probably never had to worry about concealing his own girth or trying to make himself look taller.

I don't know if that accounts for all the differences between his work and that of, say, the Hitchcock family, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has influenced his eye to some degree.

Interesting observation

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had to measure the lapels to see -- they're 3.5" -- but when Ed took measurements I just told him I wanted them to sit about halfway across to the shoulder.

The blue is full canvas, the brown is half. Those are the two choices and the full canvas was I think 950 pounds (~$1,250) and the brown was 750 pounds (~$1,000).

the trousers seem a bit full. How much
did the jacket(s) cost?

Agree on the length of the blue; I think Ed set the length based on my height rather than my build, which is always a bit of a trade-off for me, since doing it that way means it won't hit the trouser fork. Brown was adjusted to be longer, and I think it's good where it is.

Waists are comfortable and have a good shape, not sure if the pics are deceiving but I wouldn't want them in any further.

Trousers are definitely full in the thighs -- but so am I :embar: I think there's maybe a small allowance that could be brought in, but as others have mentioned Ed does seem to prefer fuller trousers in general. I'm hesitant on another pair of MTM trousers based on what may or many not be possible to do with MTM the pattern, but overall I think they're pretty good. They have better balance/shape than the pair I'm wearing with the brown jacket.

Anyway, the blue donegal being a bit short ended making it a more reasonable choice in casual/denim fits, so I'm cool with that.

Thanks for the feedback!

full-steed-alden-sf-jpg.877336

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with @Butler, that is an most interesting observation. For what it's worth, the trousers that Steven Hitchcock made me recently (I think actually made by Celia, but I'm not entirely sure) are the best trousers I've ever had, bar none.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree this is an interesting observation, though I'll note that there are plenty of pics on e.g. Steed's instagram showing what I perceive as quite flattering suits on larger guys. (Of course, there's a selection effect problem there.)

What do folks think of as the core differences between Steed and S. Hitchcock? I haven't seen S. Hitchcock's work in person. But I perceive several differences based on photos. Hitchcock jackets--at least so far as I can tell--have a cleaner, less drapey chest, squarer shoulders, and straighter lapels. (He also seems to strongly favor SB peak lapel configurations for his own suits, though I'm not sure if he advises clients in that direction). I could see all of that adding up to a more flattering look for a rounder or shorter person, I suppose. Would love to hear @Andy57 or others with experience with both companies chime in.

I agree with @Butler, that is an most interesting observation. For what it's worth, the trousers that Steven Hitchcock made me recently (I think actually made by Celia, but I'm not entirely sure) are the best trousers I've ever had, bar none.

Interested in any thoughts you have on why.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads