• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve actually got one(?) tie made from Escorial, which is partly what got me interested in having a jacket made. I’ve also looked at swatches quite a bit.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
The cloth looks lovely, particularly with that tie. Give the boys my best.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cloth looks lovely, particularly with that tie. Give the boys my best.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. I'm sure I would have gotten a greater depth of color from a true tweed, but I wanted something more multi-seasonal. I think the Escorial is a little like Phoenix/Lamlana/Moonbeam, which is why I looked at it when it turned out the Lamlana/Phoenix large-scale brown barleycorn wasn't an option.

Escorial seems a little smoother than those, although the barleycorn does have some texture to it. And I think it feels a little lighter than Moonbeam, maybe because of the nature of the fibers. I also think it drapes even nicer than Moonbeam, with admittedly limited experience so far..

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice - what book is that from?
I'm not sure, actually. I just asked Matthew at Steed for swatches. I checked the one that he sent, and there wasn't a sticker or other information on it. He could probably tell you.

Jtchapman

Reaction score
Christmas came early this year. London Lounge green tweed with blue and chestnut overchecks in a pattern that has both herringbone and barleycorn. Incredibly comfortable. Perhaps the densest LL tweed I've yet encountered. Awesome, awesome stuff. Edwin and Matthew of Steed nailed this one as always.

Old post I realise, but this is the set of photos that sold me on steed! Particularly the first, from another thread. I currently have two vintage A&S suits and two more en route, but if I ever scrape the cash together for bespoke I'll be going steed mostly thanks to this.

Jtchapman

Reaction score
Yes, they charge for alterations. It's been a few years, so my exact recollection may be off, but I vaguely remember them charging an acquaintance of mine something like $300 to take in the waist. He wasn't expecting the bill to arrive either; it just came after the job was done.

Compared to the Row, their prices are still fairly low. At least among the more notable firms. Huntsman quoted me something like $2k for a pair of pants five years ago. I imagine the price is higher now. A&S pants were something like $1,500 around the same period.
Can anyone reccomend a tailor in London who can alter vintage A&S and preserve the drape properly? If they're that expensive for just the waist I'll be paying almost as much as bespoke since I have three vintage suits that need repair.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can anyone reccomend a tailor in London who can alter vintage A&S and preserve the drape properly? If they're that expensive for just the waist I'll be paying almost as much as bespoke since I have three vintage suits that need repair.
A&S might be happy to take a look. How vintage?

Jtchapman

Reaction score
A&S might be happy to take a look. How vintage?

90s. Yeah A&S quoted almost 2k, and they weren't doing anything special alteration wise, so I'll be going to my usual alteration tailor, she trained with Steven Hitchcock, so I'm confident she can preserve the drape.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I need an alterations person who does things like buttons to an SR standard. Is she in London?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads