• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hm, I just checked my Steed and A&S coats and they don't have that full undersleeve Tom is talking about in that video. My A&S coat was cut by Hall. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Does anyone here have that on an A&S or A&S expat coat?

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hm, I just checked my Steed and A&S coats and they don't have that full undersleeve Tom is talking about in that video. My A&S coat was cut by Hall. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Does anyone here have that on an A&S or A&S expat coat?

I will check my thrifted A&S coat when at home. Does yours have straight closed quarters or it is cut in the newer style with more open/cut away quarters?

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome videos!

Interesting to see the older A&S stuff handled and bunched up and such by Tom. It would seem the jackets in the vids are quite a bit softer than the stuff Steed has made for me over the years (granted I mainly have heavy-ish tweeds, so...). I'm not sure if what I have is Steed's default construction, or something Edwin has done to "build up" my boney square shoulders, etc. I have never specified, but my stuff is certainly more structured than the A&S/TM jackets in the videos...

I hope they [Steed] are able to return to the US in the not-too-distant future, as I would really like to order some jackets specified toward the softer, more sloping end of their spectrum...I love what they have made for me up to this point, but it would be fun to add even more variety...

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope they [Steed] are able to return to the US in the not-too-distant future, as I would really like to order some jackets specified toward the softer, more sloping end of their spectrum...I love what they have made for me up to this point, but it would be fun to add even more variety...

I couldn't wait any longer and had a successful zoom-based commission from Steed. You might give it a try.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will check my thrifted A&S coat when at home. Does yours have straight closed quarters or it is cut in the newer style with more open/cut away quarters?

Mine has not the full undersleeve neither.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think my range of movement is limited to reaching for Hot Cheetos and typing, so I'm comfortable in a drape cut with a clean sleeve. But I'm curious how that fuller undersleeve feels.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting videos on drape cuts and how it's made on the pattern. I always thought the drape cut came through the chest and not also through the under sleeve. When Mahon talks about modern tailoring and people preferring a cleaner look, I'm definitely in that camp. Not like I need a lot of arm movement in my tailored clothing since I just wear to the office mainly.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting videos on drape cuts and how it's made on the pattern. I always thought the drape cut came through the chest and not also through the under sleeve. When Mahon talks about modern tailoring and people preferring a cleaner look, I'm definitely in that camp. Not like I need a lot of arm movement in my tailored clothing since I just wear to the office mainly.

For me, the drape cut is more about the look. I do find my drape cut coats to be more comfortable. But aside from movement, I like how the excess cloth and bit of swelling at the chest give the coat a certain silhouette. Kind of moob-y, but maybe also athletic. Something very romantic about it. At least for me, as I love those old photos of A&S suits.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love those Mahon coats especially the earliest one he made for the client from 1994, and the DB blazer. I haven't check the undersleeves of the coats he made for me in the middle naughts yet, but I do know their silhouettes changed a bit from coat to coat. My first DB suit had the big drapey chest you can see in the peak lapel SB, but later ones became more relaxed and then kind of settled into an in-between shape. If I could commission a new coat from him today, I'd ask for the 90s A&S cut he was showing: I didn't realize until watching this video how much personality his coats have compared to some of the more staid houses.

moddey

Reaction score
it was 2 in the morning when Derek asked about A&S and expat A&S undersleeves...being lately a terrible insomniac I got up and checked my coats from both (cut by Hitchcock and someone who was there much earlier)...but the armpits are all pretty clean :oops:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe A&S and A&S expats sized us all up and realized we don't move much.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe A&S and A&S expats sized us all up and realized we don't move much.
A&S/A&S expats- what do you plan to use this suit/jacket for?
everyone here- wear to work and post on Styleforum comparing undersleeve drape of our coats

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My A&S does have a fair amount of sleeve fullness, also a good inch and a half drape in the back.

I wouldn't say it's the only way to achieve a similar comfort in movement, but it's definitely a lovely coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads