• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course we're not serious. Was that a serious question?
1159[1].gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Of course we're not serious. Was that a serious question?
1159[1].gif

I believe that you weren't serious. I would bet a bottle of cheap wine that some of the others were.

I also don't know what that smiley means.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I also don't know what that smiley means.
I'm not sure either. But it seemed somewhat apppropriate when asking if you were serious about us being serious.

kcc

Reaction score
1039035017_VaJq9-L.jpg
attoliniruitje.jpg

The breast pocket does have right angles lending to a "boxy" appearance, but the hip pockets are nicely shaped.

Drakes madder neckwear? Love the look.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely one of my favorite jackets ever posted on the forums. Love the cloth, the shape, the styling, the fit - everything.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NOBD
1039035017_VaJq9-L.jpg

What do you think?

i think, with all the respect, blah, blah, etc., etc. ...

the size of the hip pockets doesn't fit into the overall proportions of the jacket.

they would even still be a bit off on i.e. a jacket made for manton...

certainly, this is just a prersonal preference and not a critic on the workmanship and execution of the garment.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kcc

The breast pocket does have right angles lending to a "boxy" appearance, but the hip pockets are nicely shaped.

Drakes madder neckwear? Love the look.

smile.gif
Well, the patches that Edwin did for me before were much more rectangular. If you looked closely, you could tell that they were cut in, with angled tops, but the deviation from right angles was subtle.

The new ones are not like that at all, but they might not be curvy enough for you. If you look at the pockets against the over check, you'll see there isn't a single right angle:

1006506329_XaY4p-L.jpg

1039859426_5uXRd-XL.jpg

The necktie that I wore yesterday is an E. G. Cappelli lined six, for ASW.

- B

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ In the second pic why is there no dip in the horizontal lines above the pocket ? I thought that in a darted jacket the horizontal line cannot be flat at all points.

Great SC in all respects, except the length which I feel is 1" too long and the pockets which to me are .5" too deep. But again, both points are nitpicking to the n-th degree

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ In the second pic why is there no dip in the horizontal lines above the pocket ? I thought that in a darted jacket the horizontal line cannot be flat at all points.

I don't know, but in skilled hands cloth is shaped not only by cut but by the iron.

- B

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But then what will be the point of an undarted jacket ? I thought the only benefit was horizontal lines and the downside was less shape in the waist. In this jacket you have the best of both worlds

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Great SC in all respects, except the length which I feel is 1" too long and the pockets which to me are .5" too deep. But again, both points are nitpicking to the n-th degree

Where's whnay. when I need him?
laugh.gif

We experimented once with a jacket by making it one inch shorter. At the fitting, it was pinned up carefully all around.

I put it on, and Edwin and I looked at each other without comment. A few moments passed. We then simultaneously burst out laughing. The jacket was unpinned, and restored to its former length.

A while back I posted a comparison of a standing shot of iammatt and me since we are about the same height. His Rubinacci jackets are described as a bit on the short side, while you see my Steeds as long. Placed together, however, for all extents and purposes the two jackets were the same length...approximately bisecting our height from floor to collar.

The hems hit the thighs at different points, though, because his legs are shorter while mine are on the lanky side. If you ignore overall balance of the jacket on your entire body and focus in too much the jacket its own, and insist that it always hover at the crotch, poo's jackets would be longer and mine would be shorter. Both scenarios, in my opinion, would look far worse than what our each of our tailors have already decided for us. It's like picking your buttoning point by navel position: that make no sense at all.

Of course, there really isn't any rule to this. Hems go up and down a bit depending on fashion.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
But then what will be the point of an undarted jacket ? I thought the only benefit was horizontal lines and the downside was less shape in the waist. In this jacket you have the best of both worlds

Hmmm. Well, the main point of a dartless jacket is how a dartless jacket looks. That alone is a sufficient reason.

All of my Steeds have an underarm cut that terminates short of the armhole...I think that this is also called a fish cut, but I'm not sure. At any rate, when your arms are at the side, the cut is hidden. So, none of the Steeds are sacks.

Other Steeds that I have have two cuts, the underarm and the front.

If you look at the tongue-in-cheek exchange yesterday in this thread about pattern matching at the breast pocket, you'll see that a front dart makes most patterns nearly impossible to match on all sides with patches or with flaps. So, if want a jacket made from fabric with a strong pattern and you have the stylistic objective of maximizing visible harmony of pattern, you can consider a jacket without a front cut and maybe a one piece back.

Finally, different fabrics respond with varying degrees of cooperation with the iron. Even some that can be shaped successfully, for example, will not keep that shape...especially if subjected to commercial cleaning and pressing. Those cases are good situations to go with darts and even sidebodies if you want shape even if you like your patterns to be in sync.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads