The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Would only change five things on the db and four things on the check three piece.

Change the labels to "Despos" and increase the numbers on the price tags. What are the other things?

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Change the labels to "Despos" and increase the numbers on the price tags. What are the other things?

Higher end clientele would be number three, I think.

- B

3. forex

forex Senior member

Is Despos > Edwin? [​IMG]

4. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Is Despos > Edwin? [​IMG]

I prefer to think that they are each better than the other.

- B

5. forex

forex Senior member

Vox, the SB suit is awesome. Are Steed prices inclusive of fabric? $2,500 seems very good for a suit.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Man, that flannel houndstooth suiting is gorgeous.

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

8. George

George Senior member

I prefer to think that they are each better than the other. - B
    Deboise ><Despos

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Vox, the SB suit is awesome. Are Steed prices inclusive of fabric? $2,500 seems very good for a suit.

A three piece is £2400, or $3700-ish. It does include essentially all the fabrics one can get from English merchants, including ones for which tailors outside of England often must charge more because of distributor pricing. Edwin will only upcharge for things like cashmere, vicuña etc.

It's a very good price, reflecting both his location in Carlisle and the connections to the trade that being a multi-generation English tailor affords.

Man, that flannel houndstooth suiting is gorgeous.

I love it. I might end up loving it as much as your Internet father, who has determined that his Ruby in this is his favorite suit when the weather cooperates. Have you seen him in it?

I've told Despos on more than one ocassion that he should change the name to "Despolicios" as it would lead to higher prices and sales.

"Despos: for the despot in everyone."

Deboise ><Despos

[​IMG]

Anyway, this blog post by Edwin's son Matthew shows what a stand-up guy Despos is, not that one would need yet another example.

- B

10. forex

forex Senior member

I stand corrected, $3K for a two piece suit including fabric is a good price indeed. You are basically getting two Steeds for the price of Rubinacci, the question is: "Is Rubinacci that good?"[​IMG]

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

PM him if you dare attempt puncturing his terrible ennui.

But ... tomorrow is another day.

BTW ... nice pieces. I especially like the cloth selections ... and would certainly enjoy seeing more detail. Is that what is achieved by clicking on the pics? Why not try ... nope didn't seem to work.

Signed,

Jealous on the West Coast.

12. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I stand corrected, $3K for a two piece suit including fabric is a good price indeed. You are basically getting two Steeds for the price of Rubinacci, the question is: "Is Rubinacci that good?"[​IMG]

I'll try to answer this question seriously.

Rubinacci is better if you prefer Rubinacci. Steed is better if you prefer Steed. One might get both if one likes both, or neither if neither appeals. At the price points we are talking about, budget limits should modulate quantity rather than choice.

The two makers have one important thing in common based on my experience with Deboise and what customers say uniformly about Rubinacci: a strong commitment to make their customers happy.

I gave what I think is a telling example early in this thread, but I'll describe it again because it shows how good customer service can be. Quite some years ago, Edwin was making a suit for me. At the forward, there was a problem: the pants had pleats where I had asked for a flat front.

Edwin immediately acknowledged the problem. Not a word was spoken that I might prefer pleats, nor that the pants would be recut or "fixed."

When I got the suit, I was surprised to find two pairs of pants in the package. He had made pants exactly as I had specified. He also had, however, gone ahead and finished the first pair and sent them on to me at no cost.

It is not only the result but the manner that is so wonderful. It's been ten years of experiences like this that has enriched the skill and expertise Steed have brought to the stuff that they've made for me.

From what I gather, Rubinacci's international clients get excellent, efficient, and attentive treatment as well. This seems to set Rubinacci apart from other Italian marque makers who do not typically front the resources needed to serve international clients at their home locations. If that is the style you prefer, such treatment is worth quite a lot in my opinion.

But ... tomorrow is another day.

BTW ... nice pieces. I especially like the cloth selections ... and would certainly enjoy seeing more detail. Is that what is achieved by clicking on the pics? Why not try ... nope didn't seem to work.

Signed,

Jealous on the West Coast.

You, jealous? [​IMG] Thanks...I might post more pics when the weather is a bit kinder to the flannels.

- B

13. courty

courty Senior member

I cannot comment on how Steed compares to other's work but, based on the photos I have seen, the button holes on the Steed garments look second to none. Whoever works the button holes for DeBoise is very good. I wonder if she (or he) is in Carlisle as well?

14. daruma

daruma Senior member

great thread...question about this post though

by center back seam, do you mean the back yoke? sorry if it's a stupid question...just trying to learn

15. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

I cannot comment on how Steed compares to other's work but, based on the photos I have seen, the button holes on the Steed garments look second to none. Whoever works the button holes for DeBoise is very good. I wonder if she (or he) is in Carlisle as well?

I believe that she is local to Cumbria. One of Edwin's apprentices, Andrea (who who came in third in the 2009 Golden Shears and also one that year's Rising Newcomer) sews Steed buttonholes as well.

jefferyd deconstructed a Steed dinner jacket from 2000, and j. discusses the buttonholes and other aspects of how that jacket was put together.

- B