• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

jimney

Reaction score
I wish I understood the dynamics of why these tailors don’t visit Chicago more. I’m a bit surprised cities in Texas seem to get more consistent stops - I thought it was more casual down there.

Separately, I’m planning to see Steed in NYC in November then Chicago in January to short circuit the process a bit. I’ll post some pictures when I have something to show.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m meeting with Steed in Dallas. I’m having an MTM tuxedo made and am deciding on a replacement navy blazer/sport coat as well.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I understood the dynamics of why these tailors don’t visit Chicago more. I’m a bit surprised cities in Texas seem to get more consistent stops - I thought it was more casual down there.

Separately, I’m planning to see Steed in NYC in November then Chicago in January to short circuit the process a bit. I’ll post some pictures when I have something to show.
Dallas and Houston are 2 large metro areas that are fairly accessible so if you go to one of them the other is pretty easy to get to.

I’m just guessing but people that live in Chicago could probably easily catch a flight to NYC for a trunk show compared to say flying from Dallas/Houston to NYC. Once the tailor commits to Texas, they might as well hit up both the cities.

Kind of thread hijacking but I messaged Eric Jensen of Sartoria Gallo NYC and Nicholas Templeman to see if they could include Houston on their trunk shows through Texas. I know both had already planned a Dallas trunk show so making it to Houston didn’t add too much time and cost. If neither of them had Dallas shows planned I probably wouldn’t ask for a Houston stop.

Maybe try messaging some of your tailors you want to see and ask if they’ll stop by Chicago

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In the past, I've drawn tailors to San Francisco by collecting orders. Usually, the tailor needs something like ten orders -- that can be 10 suits, 10 sport coats, or a mix thereof. That sometimes requires having one or two big fish who are willing to step up and order more than one item, but it can be done.

IME, once you get a tailor to routinely come here, it's easier for them to pull business outside of that specific group. In other words, if you get six people to commit to ordering at least ten things at first, that tailor is committed to coming for at least three trips, often four. During that period, more people will start coming to trunk shows, and then you have a regular stop.

I've also been surprised by the lack of trunk shows in Chicago but I think it just requires some organizing.

If you organize something, I recommend asking people to put down a deposit before the tailor even comes. You don't want that tailor to come to the trunk show and half the people in your group flake out. This can sometimes happen.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone can share their experience with Steed semi-bespoke? I signed up for an appointment in November. Excited for my first British tailoring.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never used them. However, if the website is representative,
their MTM model(s) all seem to have built-up British type
shoulder, if that matters. Not so with full bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads