• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CF74B0E7-B90A-4749-A5F2-FC921E4EF70A.jpeg
826533A5-7ECC-499E-A498-0E118C4B3145.jpeg

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Is there something off with the angle of the notches? Seems much more acute on one than the other.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there something off with the angle of the notches? Seems much more acute on one than the other.

*glass shattering*

Guess they do look a bit different huh? Doesn’t bother me much but will ask them abt it.

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Have they tried to even out uneven shoulders perhaps? I have one suit I bought on eBay that does a similar thing and I think it’s because it was cut for someone with a low shoulder (it’s a Corneliani mtm, so I guessed such a thing might have been possible). Just an idea.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
On my old suits and sport caots, I found the left-right balance to be a little off, which showed up in the notches and when you unbuttoned the jacket. It also shows up sometimes when you fasten the coat, as you'll see a little drag at the buttoning point.

As I understand it, the two panels are made by folding the same piece of cloth over on itself and then chalking up the topmost piece. The two layers are then cut using the same pattern, so the notches should technically be the same. But if the left-right balance isn't corrected for exactly to account for shoulder slope, then you may see something a little off.

It's a small issue, but I ended up having it corrected. I've also found that, once you get it corrected, it doesn't show up again.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my old suits and sport caots, I found the left-right balance to be a little off, which showed up in the notches and when you unbuttoned the jacket. It also shows up sometimes when you fasten the coat, as you'll see a little drag at the buttoning point.

As I understand it, the two panels are made by folding the same piece of cloth over on itself and then chalking up the topmost piece. The two layers are then cut using the same pattern, so the notches should technically be the same. But if the left-right balance isn't corrected for exactly to account for shoulder slope, then you may see something a little off.

It's a small issue, but I ended up having it corrected. I've also found that, once you get it corrected, it doesn't show up again.

Useful knowledge as always Derek, thanks!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, that looks like classic English drape to me.

I agree...suit looks good to me. I'm not even sure I mind what's happening with the notch balance. Wear it until the next time they are in town and if you still think the suit needs further adjustment, just say so. I wore a jacket for two years before ultimately deciding it needed less waist suppression...

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should be. I'll be seeing them tonight and would be pleased if mine looks like yours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads