• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Anderson & Sheppard Expatriates Thread

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What the hell is wrong with you people?
Are we not allowed to engage in a male version of passive aggressive fat shaming by saying their bespoke suits and jackets aren’t flattering their figure?

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailoring the barrel chested man ......

Structured or Unstructured (soft) tailoring. Let your eyes be the judge ....

Alan Bee
5E2566E1-DFDF-4F76-B677-20CD4F8B7C34.jpeg
9A2DA1BE-81DA-47EB-BB85-AAF705419E4E.jpeg
1FC90C12-CAB9-461A-9027-3C2BFAAD15EF.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Prefer Vox's versions. Your tailoring is nice, but it's a bit too shapely for my taste. Realize it's because of your drop, an issue that keeps getting brought up, but I'm just saying which silhouette I prefer.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Prefer Vox's versions. Your tailoring is nice, but it's a bit too shapely for my taste. Realize it's because of your drop, an issue that keeps getting brought up, but I'm just saying which silhouette I prefer.

Fair enough Derek. I've normalized the photos for fair comparison.

Alan Bee

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vox's suits (in pictures, at least) consistently have a cleaner fit/line than Alan Bee's equivalent. Given the positive Steed example AB posted, though, I think he just wants/likes different things in a suit than Vox does.

I have seen Steed on three very different body types. Vox's athletic build, Mr. Six's slim build, and a guy whose username I can't remember who, and I don't think he would be offended by this description, is more generously proportioned. He had a slate blue three-piece that made him look like a million bucks. And the latter two are people I've seen IRL, so no photo distortion involved.

Edwin cuts a nice suit.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox's suits (in pictures, at least) consistently have a cleaner fit/line than Alan Bee's equivalent. Given the positive Steed example AB posted, though, I think he just wants/likes different things in a suit than Vox does.

I have seen Steed on three very different body types. Vox's athletic build, Mr. Six's slim build, and a guy whose username I can't remember who, and I don't think he would be offended by this description, is more generously proportioned. He had a slate blue three-piece that made him look like a million bucks. And the latter two are people I've seen IRL, so no photo distortion involved.

Edwin cuts a nice suit.

Shug,

Of course Edwin cuts a nice suit. I’m not going to come to Steeds thread in search of a completely objective opinion on Steeds tailoring vs. the little old man that cuts my stuff in Naples. Still, I concede Steed cuts a nice suit.

Now, the question wasn’t really (and never was) who’s suit is nicer, cleaner, better tailored etc. The question is: does Steeds somewhat structured and full Chested cut flatter a barrel chested dude like Vox (or my humble self).

There was a thread on extended shoulders where @dieworkwear Derek went to great lengths to illustrate why @Slewfoot looked far better than @vox in their respective Steeds. And I agreed with his conclusion wholly.

I know @vox has reached Hallowed status on here and particularly on this thread, and I’m sure the whole mob will come after me, but his Steed fits in my opinion are largely “hit or miss”. With double breasted’s being more hit and SB less so.

Vox is just too “top heavy” in a lot of his Steed garments. Some of his fits downright remind me of a prize fighter suited up at weigh-in, albeit in an impeccably tailored suit.

Alan Bee

Last edited:

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is: does Steeds somewhat structured and full Chested cut flatter a barrel chested dude like Vox (or my humble self).
I think so. If you're curious beyond the realm of conjecture, look for examples in real life. Pictures of clothes on the internet are deceiving.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shug,

Of course Edwin cuts a nice suit. I’m not going to come to Steeds thread in search of a completely objective opinion on Steeds tailoring vs. the little old man that cuts my stuff in Naples. Still, I concede Steed cuts a nice suit.

Now, the question wasn’t really (and never was) who’s suit is nicer, cleaner, better tailored etc. The question is: does Steeds somewhat structured and full Chested cut flatter a barrel chested dude like Vox (or my humble self).

There was a thread on extended shoulders where @dieworkwear Derek went to great lengths to illustrate why @Slewfoot looked far better than @vox in their respective Steeds. And I agreed with his conclusion wholly.

I know @vox has reached Hallowed status on here and particularly on this thread, and I’m sure the whole mob will come after me, but his Steed fits in my opinion are largely “hit or miss”. With double breasted’s being more hit and SB less so.

Vox is just too “top heavy” in a lot of his Steed garments. Some of his fits downright remind me of a prize fighter suited up at weigh-in, albeit in an impeccably tailored suit.

Alan Bee

I don't think you and Vox have the same build. I think you've said that you have a 12 or 14 inch drop. I would be surprised if Vox has the same.

I think the two things that keep coming up about your tailoring -- the lines that sometimes appear around your waist and the aggressive shaping -- is more a result of your build. When I see the examples you put above, I don't see a difference in structured vs soft tailoring (again, weird to me anyone would call A&S style structured, but going with your words), I see a difference in the drop.

Vox's stuff looks fine to me. I don't see these as top-heavy at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads