1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

The American Jackass

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by esvoboda, May 18, 2005.

1. esvoboda

esvoboda Well-Known Member

I've seen many references here to the American Jackass. I'm trying to understand what exactly this look is so I can avoid it. From what I gather, the definitive look is to wear an untucked striped dress shirt with jeans and clunky black shoes. Is that it? If you wear proper shoes for jeans, are you still a jackass? Do you need to go a step futher and avoid the striped dress shirt altogether in favor of a different pattern or a plain shirt? I remember about three years ago walking into a Ted Baker boutique and seeing several untucked boldly striped dress shirts paired with jeans. I knew many English like to wear bold stripes with their suits so I thought wearing these shirts untucked with jeans was a nice evolution of that. I noticed that the Ted Baker shirts had shorter tails so they looked better with jeans than the normal dress variety. I picked up a couple. Over the next several weeks I received a number of compliments. Later, I heard about Queer Eye for the Straight Guy [I don't own a TV] and "metrosexuals". I learned that the "stripey" was part of that look. Ack, I realized I was part of a trend. Now I hear this is called the American Jackass look. I had been doing the stripey and jeans combination about once every other week. I was getting a little tired of it. When I heard this term, I dropped the stripey's cold turkey. [​IMG] So, no striped shirts with jeans? Help me out here. [​IMG]

2. briancl

briancl Well-Known Member

you can do whatever you want with or without a stripey, but i think the look doesn't really define 'american jackass' as much as the person sporting it. its attitude as well as attire.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Someone find that link for esvoboda, pronto. I'd like to read it too.

4. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Well-Known Member

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Yes, I love it. That, my friends, is the American Jackass.

6. Bradford

Bradford Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a link to the original GQ article that coined the phrase?

7. esvoboda

esvoboda Well-Known Member

LMAO. A picture says a thousand words, doesn't it? No worries, that's not me and I'm going to stay as far away from that as I can. I've always called those guys "assholes". I guess it's just a minor dialect difference. Thanks. [​IMG]