• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazing Spider-Man (07/03/2012)

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Has nobody else noticed the gigantic web shooters? They're great to have in filming, but don't advertise them in a costume. Ew.

You're not alone, I've complained about it in the beginning of the thread.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deadly7
Has nobody else noticed the gigantic web shooters? They're great to have in filming, but don't advertise them in a costume. Ew.

I'm so happy they ditched the organic web shooter crap that they could be the size of bowling balls for all I care.
satisfied.gif

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mechanical web shooters lead to marketing and toy production. Big thing this christmas - the Spidey web-shooter, where you plug in the cartridge and spray a silly-string equivalent. Brilliant.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by El Argentino
Mechanical web shooters lead to marketing and toy production. Big thing this christmas - the Spidey web-shooter, where you plug in the cartridge and spray a silly-string equivalent. Brilliant.
musicboohoo[1].gif

He always had mechanical web shooters till the first film came out. Then Marvel thought it was a brilliant idea to bring the organic ones to the comics because of the films. I believe he is now back to the mechanical ones in the comics post the whole deal with the devil reboot thing.

Marvel has a bad tendency to bring movie changes to the comics. They did the same thing with Logan's claws for a while in where they poped out. That too has gone back to the original look.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Marvel has a bad tendency to bring movie changes to the comics. They did the same thing with Logan's claws for a while in where they poped out. That too has gone back to the original look.

Wait. Are you talking about Magneto stripping the adamantium off him?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Wait. Are you talking about Magneto stripping the adamantium off him?

No. In the movies Logan has poped his claws out between his knuckles. In the comics, they traditionally come out from spots on the top of his hand above the knuckles. Sure it's a small change, but Marvel brought it to the comics for a while after the films came out.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Oh, I see. I actually never noticed until you brought it up. Now, that I think about it though, I much prefer the traditional comic approach to his claws.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, in the comics, his claws comes out on the back of his hand instead of the knuckles but in the end it isn't a big deal at all. It's not that big of a change like going from organic to mechanical web-shooters.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know speaking of Wolverine, there's a scene in X2 where he gets shot in the head with what I can assume are regular 9mm slugs. Why did that render him unconscious? His whole skeleton is adamantium, right?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Oh, I see. I actually never noticed until you brought it up. Now, that I think about it though, I much prefer the traditional comic approach to his claws.
I only noticed it because it drove a good friend of mine nuts. It really was a small change. I'm trying to remember if the leather uniforms in the comics that the Xmen had were a direct result if the movies or not. I believe they were. Glad they went back to real costumes.
smile.gif
DC has typically done a better job of letting the movie versions of their characters stand alone. One of the few exceptions being the Joker recently getting a smile cut into his face.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know speaking of Wolverine, there's a scene in X2 where he gets shot in the head with what I can assume are regular 9mm slugs. Why did that render him unconscious? His whole skeleton is adamantium, right?

Being unconscious usually has something to do with the impact of the hit, kind of like a boxer hitting someone in the head, the impact of the brain in the skull works like a whiplash and that is what usually knocks someone out. So it has no bearing on a bullet hitting his skull, it is more about the impact.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I only noticed it because it drove a good friend of mine nuts. It really was a small change. I'm trying to remember if the leather uniforms in the comics that the Xmen had were a direct result if the movies or not. I believe they were. Glad they went back to real costumes.
smile.gif

DC has typically done a better job of letting the movie versions of their characters stand alone. One of the few exceptions being the Joker recently getting a smile cut into his face.

I have a lot of respect for the traditional costumes but props to Singer for making the leather get-ups work within the context of the film.

And have you read the graphic novel Joker? One of my favourites and was conceived before The Dark Knight if I'm not mistaken.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spideys villain hint...

When it was announced that Irrfan Khan (Slumdog Millionaire) was joining the cast of Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man, the report said he was playing Nels Van Adder, who becomes Proto-Goblin in the comics.

In the comics, Van Adder volunteered to become a test subject for a chemical developed by Mendel Stromm and Norman Osborn. He acquired enhanced strength, fangs, and clawed hands and feet.

Although he wasn't quoted directly, Khan has indicated previously that "he didn't want to be a masked villain or become another creature," which probably rules out him actually turning into Proto-Goblin in the movie.

In a new interview at NDTV, Khan discussed the role a bit more:

The actor says he got 'Spider Man' role after his appearance in US drama 'In Treatment' where he played a widower, who is trying to adjust to the life in a foreign land with his son and his American wife.

"The role got me some good reviews there and I think the industry there is aware of my work. Marc Webber [sic] had seen me and wanted to work with me and he approached me for this role. I play one of the villains in the movie. It is a pivotal role."

While we probably won't be seeing Proto-Goblin, it does look like Rhys Ifans has company in his fight against Spidey.

The Amazing Spider-Man is now filming for a July 3, 2012 release.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have a lot of respect for the traditional costumes but props to Singer for making the leather get-ups work within the context of the film.

And have you read the graphic novel Joker? One of my favourites and was conceived before The Dark Knight if I'm not mistaken.

I did and I am fairly sure it came out after the look of the movie Joker was known.

Props to DC for not retconing the joker into wearing white facepaint instead of it being his skin color. It's something I bet Marvel would have done.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads