• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazing Spider-Man (07/03/2012)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JMRouse
I agree they didn't need to reboot it, but from what I have heard this is not an origin movie which is great. They can just jump right into things without wasting time explaining to audiences, AGAIN, how Parker gets his powers. It's my hope they do that with the new Superman movie too. For the love of God, no one needs to be shown his origin again...
How do you do a reboot without its being an origin story, though? That's what Superman Returns was, and it sucked -- arguably as a direct result of not being an origin story. If you're going to reboot, reboot, IMO.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos
How do you do a reboot without its being an origin story, though? That's what Superman Returns was, and it sucked -- arguably as a direct result of not being an origin story. If you're going to reboot, reboot, IMO.

1. I liked Superman Returns and will never understand the hate.

2. Everyone already knows how Parker got his powers. Same with who Superman is. Going through the motions of showing it on screen is a waste of valuable screen time. The best way to handle it for something like a comic book movie is short sequence during the opening credits. After that, jump right into the heart of the story. Just because it's not a sequel to a movie that came before hand does not mean it has to be an "origin" movie.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the Superman hate boil down to one thing...the son?

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa

I actually didn't find the son annoying at all.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My hate for Superman Returns was the hollow acting/plot.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They should have gone with the black kid.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
They should have gone with the black kid.

+1

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa

For me it has to do with the fact that the movie moved too slow. I don't know anyone who didn't fall asleep in the movie at least once. I saw the movie twice in the theaters and I was never able to get through the whole thing without sleeping and I'm actually big Superman comic nerd. Imagine how nonSuperman comic nerds felt during the movie.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Don Carlos

Superman Returns wasn't a complete reboot, it was a sequel to the 2nd movie when him and Supes boned iirc. And as a result, the stupid kid.

What the kid ruins is it pretty much kills any sequel for it and it just seemed unnecessary. It tried to make a big twist but utterly failed. I liked the movie too but felt it was 25 minutes too long and I didn't like the fact that he didn't throw a single punch.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of glad they're rebooting Spiderman, I did not care for the recent trilogy at all. First one was ok, epically cheesy but entertaining so it fills the "comic book movie" niche in a certain way. Second one sucked and I didn't bother to see the 3rd one.

I just hope they make this better without trying to make it GRITTY and REALISTIC.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. I liked Superman Returns and will never understand the hate.

2. Everyone already knows how Parker got his powers. Same with who Superman is. Going through the motions of showing it on screen is a waste of valuable screen time. The best way to handle it for something like a comic book movie is short sequence during the opening credits. After that, jump right into the heart of the story. Just because it's not a sequel to a movie that came before hand does not mean it has to be an "origin" movie.

This, points points get a +1.

I think the origin can be handled during the opening as well. Just throw in a few key points i.e: The spider bite, the web shooters, maybe a couple battles. The uncle Ben bit will be a bit more difficult, but ffs, everyone knows it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Superman Returns wasn't a complete reboot, it was a sequel to the 2nd movie when him and Supes boned iirc. And as a result, the stupid kid. What the kid ruins is it pretty much kills any sequel for it and it just seemed unnecessary. It tried to make a big twist but utterly failed. I liked the movie too but felt it was 25 minutes too long and I didn't like the fact that he didn't throw a single punch.
He's Superman. If he threw a punch at a normal human it would take their head off. Hell, he has to concentrate so he does not crush someone's hand when he shakes it. Superman literally holds himself back every time he touches anyone or much of the environment around him. Your criticism is more on the choice of villain then anything else. Unless Luthor broke out his purple and green battle suit, there couldn't be any punching from Superman in the movie. The plan was always to take it up a notch with the next one and bring in a villain with powers who could stand up to Superman. As for the kid, I thought it was a fine plot choice. It's not like he was portrayed as your typical snarky wisecracking movie kid who is way to smart for his age. Honestly, he was one of the few movie kids to not annoy me in recent memory.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's Superman. If he threw a punch at a normal human it would take their head off. Hell, he has to concentrate so he does not crush someone's hand when he shakes it. Superman literally holds himself back every time he touches anyone or much of the environment around him.

Your criticism is more on the choice of villain then anything else. Unless Luthor broke out his purple and green battle suit, there couldn't be any punching from Superman in the movie. The plan was always to take it up a notch with the next one and bring in a villain with powers who could stand up to Superman.

As for the kid, I thought it was a fine plot choice. It's not like he was portrayed as your typical snarky wisecracking movie kid who is way to smart for his age. Honestly, he was one of the few movie kids to not annoy me in recent memory.

That is not the point. I agree it is a poor villain choice but Superman has to throw a punch, not at humans but create a villain that could take his punch. I'm a Superman fanboy and trust me, I do not need a lecture in his powers.

Luthor, on more than one occasion has produced or manipulated a meta human to work for him. He even created protoype suits for his human minions that has been able to take a punch from Superman. Like you said, he holds back his punches, even against armored humans so punching a few baddies, even unknown meta humans wouldn't mess up the movie. Instead, they had meager humans as lackeys like Kumar.

Secondly, dude didn't have to punch an enemy, it can be anything, that huge rock he lifted, some falling rock, whatever. Point is, Superman is know for being super strong and fighting with his fist and he did none of those. It'll be like Batman not using his batarang or batmobile/batpod/tumbler or gadgets. They sure featured all of Supes powers but come on, no punching? And yah, villain choice is bad and that is part of what made the movie unlikeable to most. Lex is a formidable villain but they utilized him wrong.

As for the kid, it's not about being annoying, it is about being plain stupid. It wasn't needed and was just a horrible choice.

Overall, I liked the movie really even with all these complaints, it just doesn't stand toe to toe with TDK, not even close. It probably ranks right there with the XMen movies, decent but not great.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The kid sucked in concept. The child actor didn't really bother me, but the whole storyline was a dead weight. Really screwed up Supes' character, turning the heroic Superman into the sullen Super Peeper. Yet the subplot goes nowhere and is left dangling at the end. What a waste of time.

The stupidest part of the exercise is that the movie wasn't even a sequel to the Reeve franchise in general but specifically to Superman II. Talk about ubergeekery. Can't believe the studio didn't see the train going off the tracks early on.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is not the point. I agree it is a poor villain choice but Superman has to throw a punch, not at humans but create a villain that could take his punch. I'm a Superman fanboy and trust me, I do not need a lecture in his powers.
Didn't mean it to come across like a lecture, was just pointing out the reasons it is hard to portray him on screen fighting villans like other superheroes typically do.
Luthor, on more than one occasion has produced or manipulated a meta human to work for him. He even created protoype suits for his human minions that has been able to take a punch from Superman. Like you said, he holds back his punches, even against armored humans so punching a few baddies, even unknown meta humans wouldn't mess up the movie. Instead, they had meager humans as lackeys like Kumar.
I wouldn't have minded it if Lex broke out his power suit in the movie, but it wouldn't have fit with the tone. I can see were you are going with your argument here and it is a point. I guess for me, I enjoyed the film enough as it was and actually liked the fact they didn't go with the typical action scene/fight for the climax.
Secondly, dude didn't have to punch an enemy, it can be anything, that huge rock he lifted, some falling rock, whatever. Point is, Superman is know for being super strong and fighting with his fist and he did none of those. It'll be like Batman not using his batarang or batmobile/batpod/tumbler or gadgets. They sure featured all of Supes powers but come on, no punching? And yah, villain choice is bad and that is part of what made the movie unlikeable to most. Lex is a formidable villain but they utilized him wrong.
Again, I see your point here, but I guess it didn't really bother me. Hell, it never even crossed my mind that he didn't punch anything. He used enough of his powers that I was satisfied.
As for the kid, it's not about being annoying, it is about being plain stupid. It wasn't needed and was just a horrible choice.
We will just have to agree to disagree here.
laugh.gif
Overall, I liked the movie really even with all these complaints, it just doesn't stand toe to toe with TDK, not even close. It probably ranks right there with the XMen movies, decent but not great.
I 100% agree that it's not even in the same league of TDK. Was not trying to infer I thought it was. Just said I liked it enough and don't understand the hate it gets. Hell, I wouldn't even say it ranks better then the first two X-Men or Spider-Man films.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads