• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazing Blazer Suit

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
In the real world, the only way to ensure (the word is spelled with an "e", BTW) that your cuff is always exactly on your wrist is to affix it to your person. As much I like precision in my clothes, I am not that particular.

If you are saying that your shirt cuff always stays in the same place no matter where or how much you move your arms, then you are the only person on earth so lucky.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sherwin
This is a great demonstration of versatility (especially because only your tie and trousers change) and the power of colors to project different images. A great guide for someone young like me who is just starting to build his wardrobe.

Actually, I imagine that someone young just starting out in a corporate environment would want to be cautious of wearing a blazer as a suit jacket. The combination can easily imply that you don't have a proper suit or that you're clueless. This shouldn't necessarily matter aesthetically, but I imagine it could be an issue professionally.

I'm okay with the brown horn buttons, but I think the three patch pockets make the jacket too jarring as part of a suit. Perhaps it would help if the breast pocket was welted. But I think the concept would work better if there were no patch pockets at all.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
But I think the concept would work better if there were no patch pockets at all.

That would kill the whole thing. Good grief. A Napoli guy like you should appreciate the virtue of patch pockets on suits.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
isn't it just part of styleforum that people post pics of themselves and someone chimes in with "your pants are too long" or "those lapels are too narrow for your shoulders." people don't normally take these as attacks.

To be fair, lapel widths and pant lengths are not typically things affected by movement--if you want narrower lapels or shorter pants, you just have them cut that way.

I'm pretty picky about details, but I do agree that it's a bit much to expect cuffs to stay exactly put under all circumstances. Even the greats (Fred Astaire, the Duke, etc.) can be seen in photos with cuffs stuck in their jacket sleeves. Elegance is a good ideal, but it shouldn't incorporate unrealistic expectations.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
That would kill the whole thing. Good grief.

Maybe that's just the natural conclusion to your experiment
devil.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Maybe that's just the natural conclusion to your experiment
devil.gif

A Napoli guy like you should appreciate the virtue of patch pockets on suits.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
the simple answer to your explanation is that your measurements are such that your sleeve might look good, some of the time or most of the time, but they are incorrect as far as insuring that your shirt stays in place. if i were you i would take that set of pictures to your shirtmaker and say, "how can we tweak my measurements so that i always look like the last picture?"

This is absolutely inane.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Who would have thought that shirt cuff circumference could be so scandalous.
confused.gif

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the real world, the only way to ensure (the word is spelled with an "e", BTW) that your cuff isa always exactly on your wrist is to affix it to your person. As much I like precision in my clothes, I am not that particular.

If you are saying that your shirt cuff always stays in the same place no matter where or how much you move your arms, then you are the only person on earth so lucky.

correction noted. my shirt cuffs don't always stay in the same place, they would have to fit tightly for that, but they do not move that much. i am very particular about the fit of my dress shirts and i thought you were as well, which is why i brought it up.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Not as picky as you, I guess. One less reason to go into therapy.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Conservative Social Dress! LMAO. The Chino Blazer combo also approved for UVA cocktail parties on the Lawn. Don't spill your gin & tonic.
teacha.gif
crackup[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A Napoli guy like you should appreciate the virtue of patch pockets on suits.

I like the patch pockets at the hips as part of a casual suit, but I think the patch breast pocket goes too far. But then, I don't like patch breast pockets in general. When you put a pocket square in one, it looks like you have a potted plant glued to your chest.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What I hate is when rookies like this guy get their MTM shirts so badly fitted that not only do they ride up the arm, but they don't even come back down when the arm is lowered.
duke_tweed_complete.sized.jpg

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
What I hate is when rookies like this guy get their MTM shirts so badly fitted that not only do they ride up the arm, but they don't even come back down when the arm is lowered.

duke_tweed_complete.sized.jpg

Amateurs.
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads