The alma diet

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Samnick, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Samnick

Samnick New Member

I read an add in a Health magazine about the "Alma Diet" that "shows you the way to lose ten-eighteen pounds in two-three weeks"
    Does anyone out there have info and/or experience with this diet?

I'm interested in feedback.

2. pstoller

pstoller Senior member

I've never tried it, but I can tell you the "Alma Diet" is also known as the Turbo Diet or Almased Turbo-Protein Diet. It's a high protein, low-carb diet that requires you to subsist for two weeks on a proprietary protein powder meal replacement beverage (reportedly, it tastes mildly awful), plus lots of liquids in the form of water or vegetable broth. After that, you're supposed to eat a healthy diet supplemented by the powder/beverage, and, of course, exercise. They hype is that it contains a patented (in Germany) protein blend that delivers better amino acid absorption than other powders. But, then, don't they all say that? I would guess that, during the initial two week period, it works the way the Atkins diet does, promoting ketosis to burn fat. However, unlike the Atkins diet, you're not eating lots of fat, especially not saturated animal fats. (From the info I can find, Almased is recommended for vegetarians, but I can't find anything stating that it actually IS vegetarian.) I don't know that any diet that makes you lose a pound a day is healthy...but, obesity isn't healthy, either. Caveat emptor.