• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TS 2019.1. I always have the hardest time photographing this salmon tie.

IMG_20200609_100639.jpg
IMG_20200609_100245.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nailed the dimple on the tie!

Hehe, I try my best! Been after the @woofmang "gentleman's bet" the last 2 days. Some of the ties (like my burgundy one from today) hold a dimple PERFECTLY.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hehe, I try my best! Been after the @woofmang "gentleman's bet" the last 2 days. Some of the ties (like my burgundy one from today) hold a dimple PERFECTLY.
I sometimes miss wearing a tie, since retirement. I used to go for the perfect dimple, just wanted to look better than management, who couldn't seem to tie a good knot. FWIW, I was known as Dapper Jim in the office, and I think, in part because of my ties (and of course, the footwear)

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes miss wearing a tie, since retirement. I used to go for the perfect dimple, just wanted to look better than management, who couldn't seem to tie a good knot. FWIW, I was known as Dapper Jim in the office, and I think, in part because of my ties (and of course, the footwear)

I really enjoy the tie since I've gotten the Hobers. I feel elevated with style a bit :) The top matches the bottom (AE/Alden).

People's footwear choices are abominable these days.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really enjoy the tie since I've gotten the Hobers. I feel elevated with style a bit :) The top matches the bottom (AE/Alden).

People's footwear choices are abominable these days.
Don't get me started on abominable footwear.....of course, 99.999999 % of us here have better footwear than 99% of the general population (including those in "upper management" positions). Had a
senior VP who wore some Cole Hahn stuff with DUCT TAPE on them for two months before he bought new shoes. I always wondered what clients thought (Financial services industry) when meeting their "Investment guy" when he had Duct taped shoes.....I was a compliance officer, back room and wore, well stuff like I post on SF.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get me started on abominable footwear.....of course, 99.999999 % of us here have better footwear than 99% of the general population (including those in "upper management" positions). Had a
senior VP who wore some Cole Hahn stuff with DUCT TAPE on them for two months before he bought new shoes. I always wondered what clients thought (Financial services industry) when meeting their "Investment guy" when he had Duct taped shoes.....I was a compliance officer, back room and wore, well stuff like I post on SF.

That is downright terrifying! To think one should wear ratty clothes to a business office is scary. Working in the garden? Sure have at it. In the office? NOPE!

In fact I have a T-shirt that I managed to rip out a portion of the back by my shoulder blade but I still wear it for working on the car, since it's already half destroyed :)

I was talking to one of my co-workers the other day and she was shocked that I changed my own oil, brakepads, other nasty maintenance, etc. since I am so "buttoned up" at work and dressed well. She didn't think the dapper dude from work knew his way around a wrench and a socket :fonz:

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is downright terrifying! To think one should wear ratty clothes to a business office is scary. Working in the garden? Sure have at it. In the office? NOPE!

In fact I have a T-shirt that I managed to rip out a portion of the back by my shoulder blade but I still wear it for working on the car, since it's already half destroyed :)

I was talking to one of my co-workers the other day and she was shocked that I changed my own oil, brakepads, other nasty maintenance, etc. since I am so "buttoned up" at work and dressed well. She didn't think the dapper dude from work knew his way around a wrench and a socket :fonz:
I understand, I worked in MTM or bespoke suits, AE and/or Alden Shoes and then on weekends/evenings did "normal" things like you or drywall or plumbing/electical and flipped houses.....funny how it works. Look you best at work, do whatever the F* you like on your off time. I am a firm subscriber to the Red Green philosophy...." If the women don't find you handsome, they ought to at least find you handy"

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What is really terrifying is that someone would take the time to put tape on shoes, rather than go get a pair that was in good shape, even if they went to a discount shoe store....Guy was an ass anyway.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand, I worked in MTM or bespoke suits, AE and/or Alden Shoes and then on weekends/evenings did "normal" things like you or drywall or plumbing/electical and flipped houses.....funny how it works. Look you best at work, do whatever the F* you like on your off time. I am a firm subscriber to the Red Green philosophy...." If the women don't find you handsome, they ought to at least find you handy"

Nice!! I need to get some nice suits, but haven't the funds or reason to at the moment... In time that will come. ROTFL, Red Green! What a funny show.

What is really terrifying is that someone would take the time to put tape on shoes, rather than go get a pair that was in good shape, even if they went to a discount shoe store....Guy was an ass anyway.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Hey folks, long time no post. I'm a little out of touch. Last time I posted here, the whole MTO thing was suspended. What's the situation now for a hot new pair of shell cordovan boots? I got a beautiful brown shell Bayfield and a black shell Dalton through this thread a few years back, and really wish I'd got more at the time.

How about really kinky stuff? I'm actually selling these, but I'd be curious to know if they still make this kind of thing, or anything else unusual?

DSC_0511.JPG

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, long time no post. I'm a little out of touch. Last time I posted here, the whole MTO thing was suspended. What's the situation now for a hot new pair of shell cordovan boots? I got a beautiful brown shell Bayfield and a black shell Dalton through this thread a few years back, and really wish I'd got more at the time.

How about really kinky stuff? I'm actually selling these, but I'd be curious to know if they still make this kind of thing, or anything else unusual?

View attachment 1409456

Not my size (11D), but those are amazing!!

Nothing in shark is made anymore :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads