• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
These were spec'ed to be a complement to my ruby shell Carminas:

AE can do sleek when it wants to.

And with this . . . I report, somewhat wistfully, that the last hole in my collection (black shell dress shoe) has now been filled, and my racks are officially full. Any future purchases will be either (1) something that absolutely cannot be resisted, or (2) purely a nibbling at the edges.

So . . . what shall I start buying next?
biggrin.gif
These are nice and sleek. Did you order tts? Will you please post a few more photos? thanks!

Thanks. Same size for me as 1 and 5 lasts. What kind of pics would you like to see?

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Actually that is back and sides. Opposite of what he asked for. LMAO!

gatszu

Reaction score
Sweet shoes!! Thanks!! I was considering Rutledge in brown cordovan and now black cordovan but I have to straight out the size. I'm 6.5E width on 1 in Cordovan & 5 lasts on Calf (bad bowing on some cordovan bal). I tried 6.5D in larchmont calf (333 last) and those fit well, but the Harrison in black cordovan ended up tight at the ball of my right foot. Maybe I should have went with 6.5E, my brannock size.

Last edited:

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Those Black Rutledges are sweet. The Rutledge has always been an appealing shoe to me, but alas my need for shoes is dropping fast as my closets are already full and them some.

-Mike

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet shoes!! Thanks!! I was considering Rutledge in brown cordovan and now black cordovan but I have to straight out the size. I'm 6.5E width on 1 in Cordovan & 5 lasts on Calf (bad bowing on some cordovan bal). I tried 6.5D in larchmont calf (333 last) and those fit well, but the Harrison in black cordovan ended up tight at the ball of my right foot. Maybe I should have went with 6.5E, my brannock size.

Buy a pair or two in the size(s) you think you might be, then return them and call Allison with your MTO. Easy-peasy. (Unless you're international, in which case never mind.)

gatszu

Reaction score
I basically have duck feet--big in the front, but small heel & ankle. Getting balmorals to fit is a little more tricky when in calf, they fit fine, but in cordovan, they bow at the ankles. Allison has been helpful in sending me shoes in two different sizes to try. I was sure I had the right size for the Harrison, but it's tight :/

green garden

Reaction score

Black shell Rutledges have arrived! These were spec'ed to be a complement to my ruby shell Carminas: AE can do sleek when it wants to. And with this . . . I report, somewhat wistfully, that the last hole in my collection (black shell dress shoe) has now been filled, and my racks are officially full. Any future purchases will be either (1) something that absolutely cannot be resisted, or (2) purely a nibbling at the edges. So . . . what shall I start buying next? :D
I know this is a AE thread, but very nice Carmina. What is the last of the Carmina? And how did you size vs the AE 3 last - Rutledge.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
AE can do sleek when it wants to.

And with this . . . I report, somewhat wistfully, that the last hole in my collection (black shell dress shoe) has now been filled, and my racks are officially full. Any future purchases will be either (1) something that absolutely cannot be resisted, or (2) purely a nibbling at the edges.

So . . . what shall I start buying next?
biggrin.gif
I know this is a AE thread, but very nice Carmina. What is the last of the Carmina? And how did you size vs the AE 3 last - Rutledge.

Thanks. It's on the Simpson last - 9.5 UK compared to 9.5 E for the Rutledge.

Last edited:

AT83

Reaction score

Anyone here receive a pair of shoes back from recrafting and they didnt fit right anymore? I got back my pair of strands after they recrafted them due to a defect and now the instep/midfoot is really tight. Wearing a 3E means I have good width there normally and there was only a few mm gap in the laces prior to sending them in. Now I have a full inch between the top eyelets. Could they have accidentally lasted them to a 2E or E last?

If they were new shoes, I'm sure the laces would come together more after a bit of wear. But I wouldn't think they have much more stretch in them.

I had something similar happen, between my foot getting longer in the time the shoes were sidelined while I decided if I should recraft or replace, new cork raising the footbed and the leather being pulled tighter over the last I had one shoe that really squeezed my toes making the shoes impossible to wear. I contacted AE and they had me ship them back where they determined it looked crooked. I think that was just them being generous. They offered me a pair of new shoes of my choice. I still wonder if there was a legitimate issue from the recrafting or if I took advantage of AE on this. My 3 pairs purchased since have been MTO with different sizes for each foot.

I would recommend contacting recrafting and seeing what they say.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, shoot. My good luck with the AE MTO process appears to have hot a snag. After one outdoor wear of less than 4 hours, the gumlight is separating from the midsole on both shoes in multiple places all around each shoe.

Sigh. Guess I have to send them back, right? They were perfect, otherwise. I'd hate to be without them as we get into summer weather.

And so....

After just over 2 weeks (damn, it was fast!!), I received my replacement McAllister MTOs.

Looks like they solved the peeling rubber sole issue by adding an additional midsole. Not crazy about the color, but I guess it's ok. They messed up the welt stitching color again, but this time dark brown instead of tan, which stands out more. Meh, can live with it. Also, included tan laces instead of red. Also not a problem.

On the plus side, looks like this pair got a better pick of suede than the previous one for the upper. Also, I can still wear this for the rest of the summer. And also...

AE customer service is awesome. Tiny errors aside, I got a great custom shoe at a great price, and was well take care of in the process.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
My 2nd MTO arrived today. Heritage with a non-golf sole. I was going for something a little different but that I would wear. I like them. My only two comments: 1) When I unboxed them there was an overwhelming chemical odor that smelled just like spray paint that I've never experienced before (I own several AE shoes). They seem to be airing out - not sure if the Poron insole or orange color has something to do with it. 2) I'm confused at what "brown calf" versus "dark brown calf" is. I think these came out just fine (and there may have been too much contrast with dark brown) but I asked for the same dark brown like on my Parkway. You can see the difference. "Brown" seems to be used fairly universally.

Ordered May 22, arrived June 17.

Enjoy...

Compared to "dark brown burnished"...

1079 BROWN CALF WING, EYESTAY, COLLAR, HEEL
2424 BROWN SUEDE VAMP, QUARTER
PORON INSOLE
ORANGE LINING LEATHER
BROWN FLAT WELT
LIGHT BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING V-TREAD OUTSOLE
WHEELED EDGES.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ FWIW my McTavish had the same smell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads